No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP Detection

Hello everybody,

I am searching for some software with which it is possible to align 454 contigs against a reference sequence and to detect SNPs. It is essential that the quality file is considered and that a table with Position, SNP and quality is written in the output. Has anyone an idea?

Thank you in advance
    Janina

Try gsMapper (part of Newbler) supplied by Roche.

Comment

The software wiki lists a number of packages specifically in this space (454 SNP Discovery); you might also look at the other Snp Discovery packages as many are platform agnostic.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxygen81 View Post
        Hello everybody,

I am searching for some software with which it is possible to align 454 contigs against a reference sequence and to detect SNPs. It is essential that the quality file is considered and that a table with Position, SNP and quality is written in the output. Has anyone an idea?

Thank you in advance
        Janina
        NextGENe will do a great and easy job on this, also has a quality ranking, like Phred, for all found variants including indels

Comment

Hi Janina, do you have gsMapper or any other similar s/w? if not write to me; I can probably help you...

Comment

Hello,

thank you all for your fast answers! I already tried CLC genomic workbench and Genious which are great but they don't display the quality of the detected SNPs. Maybe I have to make clear that I don't mean the quality of the SNP but of the sequenced base (for 454: 0-64). I asked our sequencing facility about the use of the gsMapper but they told me that it is not possible to import assembled contigs and no quality files, too... Is that right?
            I will try NextGENe if there is a trial version available. Thank you all!

Comment

Display of confidence scores

You should be able to view the quality scores of all of your bases in the Genomics Workbench. It is a display option. If you want, I can show you how.

Comment

agreed gsmapper

Comment

Why gsmapper?

Hi all,

just a question that popped into my mind. (I normally use output from Illumina machines)

Why do you need to use this gsmapper tool instead of a standard SNP-calling pipeline like:

sequencer -> read-file -> [bwa|bowtie|...(aligner of your choice)] -> output.sam-file

and then just run 'samtools pileup' on your output file and get the SNP's with quality and all from there?

I was just wondering if there is something special about 454-reads, that renders this approach unfeasible?

Cheers,
                  Paul

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

Comment

Originally posted by link1 View Post
                    agreed gsmapper
                    gsMapper will align 454 reads and will refuse mapping sequences longer than a certain threshold, like contigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dethecor View Post
                      Hi all,

just a question that popped into my mind. (I normally use output from Illumina machines)

Why do you need to use this gsmapper tool instead of a standard SNP-calling pipeline like:

sequencer -> read-file -> [bwa|bowtie|...(aligner of your choice)] -> output.sam-file

and then just run 'samtools pileup' on your output file and get the SNP's with quality and all from there?

I was just wondering if there is something special about 454-reads, that renders this approach unfeasible?

Cheers,
                      Paul
                      454 reads are longer and are not fixed-length; the short read aligners are not the approbiate tools for that kind of sequencing data.

And, he was asking to map contigs, not reads. Although, I would map the reads and look for variations .. :-)

Comment

You may wish to test the aligner in NextGENe which also provides a high level of visualization and annotation.

Comment

Hi Janina,

Lasergene's SeqMan app can assemble 454 data against a reference, and detect SNPs. The SNP reports will display the imported quality scores, position, SNP base, as well as a lot of other useful info. You can learn more or get a free trial here.

Thanks,
                          Anne

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses