Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could not locate a bowtie index corresponding to basename -- tried posted solutions

Hi,

I am running on Ubuntu 16 and am trying to analyze my data with Bowtie2. I have managed to get this exact script to work on a windows machine running cygwin, but can't figure out this problem that arose on Linux.

I am getting the classic "Could not located Bowtie index corresponding to basename "directory", yet I have listed a path directing to the base file name 'mm10', not the folder as many people here have posted about before.

Things that I have tried:

Changing to directory the index is located and running bowtie2.

Adding the directory the index is located in to PATH.

Placed the index in a folder in the bowtie2 directory, in my downloads directory, and the desktop. All with the same result.

I have tried building an index from scratch or downloading a prebuilt one from bowtie2.

I am running the code within a script to align multiple reads, but I have also tried manually calling bowtie to individual fastq files.
    Code:
    bowtie2 index:
    /user/home/Downloads/mm10/mm10
    call to bowtie2: 
    bowtie2 --local --very-sensitive-local --no-unal -q --phred33 --threads 12 -x /user/home/Downloads/mm10/mm10 -U BS_P384R_S_S30_L002_R1_001.fastq > BS_P384R_S
    Could not locate a Bowtie index corresponding to basename "/user/home/Downloads/mm10/mm10"
    Error: Encountered internal Bowtie 2 exception (#1)
    Command: /home/user/anaconda3/bin/bowtie2-align-s --wrapper basic-0 --local --very-sensitive-local -q --phred33 --threads 12 -x /user/home/Downloads/mm10/mm10 --passthrough -U BS_P384R_S_S30_L002_R1_001.fastq 
    (ERR): bowtie2-align exited with value 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/user/phd/fastq_to_sams.py", line 92, in <module>
        py_bowtie_single_end('/home/user/phd/NGYHF03', list_output_sam = outputs, bowtie2_index = mm10)
      File "/home/user/phd/fastq_to_sams.py", line 87, in py_bowtie_single_end
        check_output(temp_str, shell=True)
      File "/home/user/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 336, in check_output
        **kwargs).stdout
      File "/home/user/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 418, in run
        output=stdout, stderr=stderr)
    subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'bowtie2 --local --very-sensitive-local --no-unal -q --phred33 --threads 12 -x /user/home/Downloads/mm10/mm10 -U BS_P384R_S_S30_L002_R1_001.fastq > BS_P384R_S' returned non-zero exit status 1

Any suggestions on something to try?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses