RNA-Seq on MiSeq wingtec General 5 02-13-2012 01:12 PM
MiSeq aleferna Illumina/Solexa 1 01-18-2012 02:13 PM
MiSeq service ? Andrew_Slatter Illumina/Solexa 0 10-31-2011 03:56 AM
MiSeq PGT_Bordeaux Illumina/Solexa 6 07-29-2011 07:36 PM

Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #41
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

avilella & genlyai: The price per base is much higher on MiSeq than HiSeq but the ability to get a result in 1 day vs 8 i imporatnat in many areas. I also find that users who wnat a long run often wait longer than usual as we do fewer long runs compared to SE36 for instance. In this case the 1vs8 days might be more like 1vs30 in reality. Almost certainly worth the extra cost in that instance.
james hadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #42
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

Vinz: The MiSeq completes a PE100 run in 1 day compared to 8 on HiSeq and 12 on GAIIx. If you look at intensities and then error profiles for runs they drop off at the end. Much of this is due to the time the reagents sit on the instrument and Illumina only support ten days.
MiSeq runs fast, very fast. I am hoping that this has an impact on quality and would not be surprised to see users publishing 200, 300 and even higher read lengths. Lets wait and see when people get hold of them.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #43
nickloman

Wow, that's an interesting thought!
nickloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #44
Vinz

Thanks James for your thoughts! I hope you are right - a little above 200 bases would be just perfect for our application.
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #45
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hadfield View Post
Vinz: The MiSeq completes a PE100 run in 1 day compared to 8 on HiSeq and 12 on GAIIx. If you look at intensities and then error profiles for runs they drop off at the end. Much of this is due to the time the reagents sit on the instrument and Illumina only support ten days.
MiSeq runs fast, very fast. I am hoping that this has an impact on quality and would not be surprised to see users publishing 200, 300 and even higher read lengths. Lets wait and see when people get hold of them.
I would guess that the decay of phasing and overall efficiencies would be a bigger limitation than reagent stability. Even at >99% efficiency, for 100++ sequential chemical reactions the intensities (sum of successful incorporations) and signal-to-noise (ratio of correct incorp to all three incorrect) would drop accordingly.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #46
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

The data we saw at AGBT on longer reads showed lots of high quality data coming of the instruments. Quality is affected by many things, phasing and chemistry stability being two. I am sure reads will get longer. They have on almost every other sequencing platform over the last 30 years.

I'd be happy to do the ultra-long MiSeq experiment if only Illumina would drop one off for a long weekend.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #47
dcfargo

Anyone have an estimate for the total size per run of the outfiles. For example a per year per machine storage need? Are the outfiles the same as the HiSeq (just much smaller)?
dcfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #48
vebaev
Senior Res.

Hi,
It is shown that MiSeq will be able to do smallRNAs and Chip-seq

1.I was wandering how many M clean reads will be output from the small RNA run?
2.and also is it posible to do a DGE analysis and target gene seq, on MiSeq, and overall what other application will be able to do on the platform except the mentioned above?
vebaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #49
razibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfargo View Post
Anyone have an estimate for the total size per run of the outfiles. For example a per year per machine storage need?
You can have no more than 15 runs on the machine. Keep in mind that you will have probably to buy a computer dedicated to the MiSeq.
razibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #50
protist

Check out the archived Webinar for a detailed overview - http://www.illumina.com/events/webinars.ilmn

My Sample. My Study. MiSeq. Introducing Illumina's personal sequencing system (Wednesday, April 20, 2011).
protist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #51
krobison

Quote:
Originally Posted by razibus View Post
You can have no more than 15 runs on the machine.
15 runs of what sort in what timeframe? Given that the instrument's longest running mode is spec-ed at about 3 days, you should be able to get more like 100 runs a year; the shorter running modes could be multiple per day.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
ScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobison View Post
15 runs of what sort in what timeframe? Given that the instrument's longest running mode is spec-ed at about 3 days, you should be able to get more like 100 runs a year; the shorter running modes could be multiple per day.
Probably 15 runs total stored on the machine. I.e. the disk capacity is probably large enough to store 15 runs (i.e. time period is not relevant).

Cheers,

Scott.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #53
razibus

Sorry but I don't have the details, they told me 10-15 runs. The device is not on the market so it is as hard to have information on MiSeq as to talk about PGM on this forum...

The main idea is that the integrated analysis module on MiSeq won't be too powerfull, for example you cannot launch a run and make your bioinformatics on an old run in the same time. That's why they are working on a solution to link MiSeq to a computer in order to transfer datas easily for example.

This is quite predictable as both GS Junior and PGM have a dedicated computer.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #54
krobison

Quote:
DUH! Thanks for the correction.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #55
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by razibus View Post
The device is not on the market so it is as hard to have information on MiSeq as to talk about PGM on this forum...
Quote of the day.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #56
razibus

Ok, it was too easy. No comment.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #57
razibus

Quote:
I have the exact information now : you can have 5 runs of 6 GB on your MiSeq.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #58
ECO
--Site Admin--

krobison has a new post up that has real information about MiSeq specs from a poster at CSHL.

Any chance of putting the poster up?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #59
krobison

The poster & a PowerPoint deck with a smidge of additional information (for example, showing the mean quality score vs. base position) are up on the MiSeq site; only because of Anthony Fejes' post did I realize this (feeling a bit dumb I didn't look there).

You do need to do a brief leaving of name, email, etc. I suspect it does not vet your entries, so those wishing to remain anonymous can leave "bsimpson@springfield.elementary.edu" :-)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #60
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

Hi All,

I just started blogging and my first post is about what we might get one day from MiSeq. I estimated 25Gb from a run. Sounds crazy? Check out my reasoning here...http://bit.ly/lRUwSC.