No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic bad parallelize

Hello!
    I have 4 physical and 8 virtual cores at my computer and I hoped Trimmomatic can use all of them. I tried to run Trimmomatic with '-threads 4', '-threads 8', '-threads 16' and without '-threads' option, but I had the same result every time: Trimmomatic created a lot of processes, but only one of them took near 100% of 1 CPU, and other processes took near 5 % of other CPU. How to make it to get all cores?
    I use Ubuntu 14.04 and Trimmomatic 0.32.

Thank you in advance.

Can you describe your input data and what operation you are doing to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rammaria View Post
      Hello!
      I have 4 physical and 8 virtual cores at my computer and I hoped Trimmomatic can use all of them. I tried to run Trimmomatic with '-threads 4', '-threads 8', '-threads 16' and without '-threads' option, but I had the same result every time: Trimmomatic created a lot of processes, but only one of them took near 100% of 1 CPU, and other processes took near 5 % of other CPU. How to make it to get all cores?
      I use Ubuntu 14.04 and Trimmomatic 0.32.

Thank you in advance.
      Hi.

If you see the threads created, then you can be reasonably confident you have used the arguments correctly. The 'threads' argument (if >1) is actually the number of worker threads, so you should see those, the main thread, and one thread for each input or output file, plus whatever threads the JVM creates for itself. Recent versions will create enough workers to occupy all CPU cores while previous versions defaulted to using just the main thread for everything.

The chances are that you a bottlenecked on I/O or compression/decompression rather than the calculations for trimming. The first can be checked using iostat (or equivalent), while the second can be checked by not using compressed files and see if it changes.

These low-cpu usage situations often occur if you are using a very lightweight trimming pipeline, but in such cases, the processing should be fast anyway.
      Last edited by tonybolger; 09-11-2014, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses