Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird TopHat - junction.bed output

Does any one know about the (snapshot attched)

blue-refseq
    green- cuff transcripts
    red- junctions

1. exon junctions (junction.bed) overlapping none of the refseq exons or Cufflinks transcripts.

2. exon junctions overlapping introns but not any cuff transcripts ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by repinementer; 08-18-2010, 12:06 AM.

another snapshot

another snapshot
    Attached Files

Comment

better resolution plz . . . can't see a damn thing on those snapshots :/

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

Comment

hey

I submitted a good resolution file but this website is showing them that. Anyways here are zipped pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about that resizing. I've turned it off, and am testing it now.

Comment

I may help to also display the SAM file in IGV so you can see where the reads are aligning.
            SpliceMap: De novo detection of splice junctions from RNA-seq
            Download SpliceMap Comment here

Comment

Thank you

IGV is freezing just after uploading sam file. It would be great if you suggest any other browser so that I can put them along. So far as per discussion in seq answers IGV has a reputation going on.
              Last edited by repinementer; 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

You should convert the SAM file to a BAM file for input into IGV.

It does require a lot of memory if you have a large number of reads. That could be why it is freezing.
                SpliceMap: De novo detection of splice junctions from RNA-seq
                Download SpliceMap Comment here

Comment

still the same

I used coverage.wiggle files instaed of SAM/BAMfile to notify read density or coverage.

I came to a conlclusion TopHat producing many false positive because of the 32 bp read length?

I'm including other snapshots where junctions mapped to introns instead of exons and with out any read coverage.
                  Attached Files

Comment

similar, even with --no-novel-juncs option

I've found a few unexpected junctions from TopHat, even when using the --no-novel-juncs option. Attached is an example. UCSC gene, mRNA and exon records were specified in a gff3 file (with the -G option). And I checked the gff3 file carefully to ensure there were no boundaries specified near the bottom two unexpected junctions.

blue -- RefSeq
                    red -- junctions reported by TopHat with --no-novel-junctions option

TopHat-1.0.14
                    Bowtie-0.12.5
                    76bp reads
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes same observed in my analysis.

After supplying known ensemblegenes.gtf and ensemble_junctions and --no-novel-juncs I observed few cases where I have seen exactly you mentioned.
                      Seems it is still giving false postives by taking the reads into consideration.

BTW how did you directly uploaded sam file into IGV?

Comment

SAM files and IGV

I had some problems with the Linux version of IGV, but the Windows version seems to work OK. I'm using the binary distribution, version 1.5.18.

After filtering, my accepted_hits.sam file size is 2.7 GB. I leave the SAM file header in place.

Comment

Samfiles and IGV

Hi, I just found this thread while looking for something else. I can answer a few questions.

You can load a SAM file into IGV, but it needs to create an index first. It will do this automatically after a warning, or you can do it in advance with "igvtools". BAM is better, but SAM works.

I hate to hear about freezes. Recently I added a coverage depth limit, user settable, which has solved most freezing issues. Also, for large wig files please check out the "tdf" format, easily created from igvtools (command line or File > run igvtools...). Its basically a bigwig, developed before bigwig was available or I would have just used bigwig. Also, for bed files exceeding ~ 100,000 rows or so please consider indexing them, you will be happier. Again use igvtools for this (or tabix). If you use the binary and indexed formats you can load an really large dataset quickly, and without freezing.

Finally send bug reports and complaints to igv-help at broadinstitute.org. I'll answer them, but I don't always have time to monitor these forums unfortunately.

Comment

I tried index format but ntworking

I converted file.bam to to file.bam.bai by using samtools.
                            And i tried to open file.bam.bi index file using IGV. It throwing by saying SAM/BAM index files are not supported ?

Comment

BAM files in IGV

Open the BAM file, not the index. Sorry if the message is confusing, I'll work on that.

To elaborate a little, samtools does not convert the bam file, it just creates an index in a separate file. The alignment data is still in the original file. IGV (and other tools like samtools tview) look for the index by naming convention, but you don't explicitly load it.
                              Last edited by Jim Robinson; 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses