No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicates percentage in target resequencing

Hi,

We are performing a target resequencing experiment, where we enriched 8 regions.
    1. What's the mean % of duplicates in this kind of experiments ?
    2. The % in duplicates is casual or is affected by specifics factors?
    3. During quality control analysis we noticed that % in duplicates range from 1 to 80%, is it normal have high % of duplicates in a target resequencing experiment?

A high duplicate percentage comes from (generally) too many PCR cycles pre-hybridization. For standard exomes we typically see < 5% PCR duplicates using Agilent SureSelect.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
      A high duplicate percentage comes from (generally) too many PCR cycles pre-hybridization. For standard exomes we typically see < 5% PCR duplicates using Agilent SureSelect.

5% is impressively low. Would the target size range have an affect? We are sampling just 500 genes and not a whole exome. I've noticed PCR duplicates from 14% to 50% in our data. I am trying to convince the wet lab people to lower their PCR cycles.

How many cycles are you doing? I think wetlab is doing 16 cycles..

Comment

If we can start with 3ug DNA we can get away with 7 or fewer PCR cycles. The protocol states to do 4-6 but when I've done 8 cycles I haven't had any issues. 16 prior to hybridization seems quite high, though. I communicated with an Agilent rep who told me that duplicates are mainly caused by too many cycles pre-hyb.

Comment

Hi,
          I think the number of reads and the target region size is important as well.

But nevertheless we have the duplication problem as well. We used the Agilent AllExon-Kit and sequenced with the HiSeq (one lane per sample). We observed a duplication rate of 40-50%, although we sticked to the protocol. We observe, that the duplication rate with the GA II is much lower than with the HiSeq. Does anyone observe the same?

How many reads did you map to which region size and which duplication rate did you observe?

@Heisman: Did you sequence with the HiSeq or the GA II? How many reads did you receive?

Comment

@Robby: We sequence with the HiSeq and I get generally ~90-100 million reads. We map to the whole genome using novoalign but that shouldn't be a determining factor regarding how many duplicate reads there are. I have no idea why you are getting so many duplicates or, even more interestingly, why you would get less duplicates with the GAIIx. I've generally started with 3-4 ug DNA and done 7-8 PCR cycles pre-hybridization (around 12 after hybridization).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses