No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioSmalltalk: A pure object system for doing bioinformatics with Smalltalk

Dear all,

This is my first post. I'm an argentinian programmer which started to work in bioinformatics almost 3 years ago using Smalltalk (besides Python, R, Perl and Shell scripting of course). Now I want to share with you BioSmalltalk, a library and environment for doing bioinformatics with Smalltalk.

Although in the short or mid-term it is unlikely for a BioSmalltalk to reach the users, maturity and competitive level of major Bio* toolkits (BioPerl, BioPython, BioRuby or BioJava), it could take too many years if I continue this work alone. So now there is a chance to make it better for anyone.

BioSmalltalk was not conceived to replace or defeat any other similar packages, but to provide to the bioinformatics community the features of a pure object system. So feel free to help in any way you can, and discover why Smalltalk survived as the oldest programming environment and still today such a special tool to work. There is a lot of things to do, and everybody is welcome to contribute.

You may download a pre-compiled release from the Google Project page:

Best regards,

Hernán

Wonderful, congratulations Hernán!

warm regards from Amsterdam,
    Craig

Comment

It will be interesting to see if you can drum up support for the project. Smalltalk may be a well honed and long surviving language however its adherents are few in number. Personally I haven't programmed in it for, gee, over 25 years.

Comment

Hello Rick,
        Thanks for your feedback. Contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of Smalltalk users in the world, see for example: http://www.goodstart.com/who-uses-smalltalk.shtml

Concerning support, you may check the news in the blog, for example a new application using BioSmalltalk: http://biosmalltalk.blogspot.com.ar/...k-preview.html

There are also two mailing lists:

I am more than willing to help people get involved with Smalltalk. One of the nicest things you may find is that you have to un-learn a lot of things so necessary in other programming environments. The code base now is not so extensive as in BioPerl or BioPython, but it also means an opportunity to learn about coding and bioinformatics. And a nice chance to try an interactive debugger doing for example TDD which is very natural in Smalltalk, see here for a TDD session in Pharo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymITEeAOtEA

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if anyone want to share experiences using the platform it would be very welcome.
        Cheers,

Hernán

Originally posted by westerman View Post
        It will be interesting to see if you can drum up support for the project. Smalltalk may be a well honed and long surviving language however its adherents are few in number. Personally I haven't programmed in it for, gee, over 25 years.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses