Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting FASTQ to RMAP prb files

Does anyone know what the proper conversion is between Phred quality scores and the probability values required by the RMAP alignment software? RMAP's documentation doesn't have much to say on the matter.

I think I've answered my own question...
    RMAP seems to be pretty fussy about the prb file format. The four probabilities at each base are given as Solexa/Phred qualities (e.g: 40 -40 -40 -40). They seem to use spaces to separate the four probabilities and tabs to separate the blocks of probabilities for each base. I don't know how necessary that is but I didn't mess with it. RMAP does seem to be sensitive to the end of the line. There cannot be whitespace at the end of the line except for the newline. Each line represents a single read, so you have 4 x readLength numbers on each line and there are no labels so they have to be in the exact same order as your corresponding FASTA file of sequences.

Of course, FASTQ quality strings only give the probability that the called base is correct. To make pseudo-probabilities for the other three bases, I have been subtracting the FASTQ probability from 1, dividing by three, and converting back into a Phred quality.

I have a script working to do the conversion in case anyone is interested.

I wish that RMAP would support FASTQ files as an option... our core facility is currently throwing out the prb files.
    Last edited by ShaunMahony; 05-09-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

at least some core facility support dont understand the value of the prb files ... after thinking about doing what you did, i decided it didnt make sense to try to reverse-engineer the prb scores ... note that for equivalent probabilities, the fastq file will simply select the first (!?) ... if you run the script on a fastq file that you actually have the prb file and learn something, it would be interesting to know how much "better" rmapq with the prb file does over just rmap with the fasta file ...
      i think?
      rudy

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses