Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use QIIME process MiSeq 16s data?

Hi:

I’m totally new to this area, I've got some MiSeq 16S data. Is there tutorial like 454 Overview Tutorial("http://qiime.org/tutorials/tutorial.html") on QIIME website?

thanks in advance

thanks for your reply

I hava checked this tutorial, it used for single-end,but I want to process pair-end data.
    Do you know other tutorial or approach to do this? thank again.

Comment

qiime could not cope with pair-end datas,but if you use miseq platform ,maybe there is a overlap between pair-end data. so you can assembly the data ,then use the qiime.

Originally posted by zhaopeihua View Post
      Hi:

I’m totally new to this area, I've got some MiSeq 16S data. Is there tutorial like 454 Overview Tutorial("http://qiime.org/tutorials/tutorial.html") on QIIME website?

thanks in advance

Comment

Very easy to use PANDASeq to assemble the paired reads and then use the assembled file in QIIME.

If you can use MacQIIME, I have a simple python script and some BASH scripts that make processing hundreds of samples very simple using default settings. Perfect for getting to know the software tools and then tweaking as you get more familiar with the tools and settings.
        HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
        http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

Comment

Hi there,
          We are looking to combine several runs of 16S Miseq data into one large data set for analysis - 400 to 500 samples all told. If you have any ideas about streamlining Qiime analysis for a set this size, or if there are any specific trouble spots we should keep an eye out for, I'd love to hear about them!

Comment

Originally posted by Vesperholly View Post
            Hi there,
            We are looking to combine several runs of 16S Miseq data into one large data set for analysis - 400 to 500 samples all told. If you have any ideas about streamlining Qiime analysis for a set this size, or if there are any specific trouble spots we should keep an eye out for, I'd love to hear about them!
            I've made a pipeline for just that, but it's work related and I can't post it. Anyway, it's a rather simple bash script that anyone could write. Everything starts from a map file from where relevant information is parsed and passed on to mothur for denoising. Then some header editing so every sequence surely has a unique ID (which is nice if you want to combine samples later on). Then back to QIIME for open reference otu picking. Nothing complicated. Almost everything QIIME related works just fine with default settings, however, in my experience more memory should be allocated to RDP-classifier, or you'll risk it hanging.

edit. My pipeline is for 454-data. Anyway, I'm going to adapt it for MiSeq data someday soon. Don't think much needs to be changed, just the preprocessing steps..
            Last edited by rhinoceros; 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM.
            savetherhino.org

Comment

You know there is a pre-existing way to have multiple runs of 454, Illumina...whatever... within QIIME, right? Just add -n some integer to the split_libraries.py or split_libraries_fastq.py that exceeds the number of reads in the first library. For example, for three Illumina runs with overlapping barcodes, and 10 million reads per library

split_libraries_fastq.py -i run1_reads.fastq -b run1_barcodes.fastq -m run1mapping.txt -o Split1Out/

split_libraries_fastq.py -i run2_reads.fastq -b run2_barcodes.fastq -m run2mapping.txt -n 10000001 -o Split2Out/

split_libraries_fastq.py -i run3_reads.fastq -b run3_barcodes.fastq -m run3mapping.txt -n 20000002 -o Split3Out/

Note that "-n" increments as you add libraries to some arbitrary number that is larger than the total possible number of reads in the previous library. This is done to number each sequence in the output seqs.fna so that there are no overlapping read names in each file.

Afterwards you would take the output from each SplitOut folder and concatenate them into a single seqs.fna

cat Split1Out/seqs.fna Split2Out/seqs.fna Split3Out/seqs.fna > seqs.fna

After this, make a new mapping file with all your samples in it.

And then run the remainder of your QIIME workflow as you want. You'll get errors about duplicate barcodes, but post split_libraries this is irrelevant.

See http://qiime.org/scripts/split_libraries_fastq.html for more guidance for this command, or here http://qiime.org/tutorials/denoising_454_data.html and here http://qiime.org/scripts/split_libraries.html if you have conventional or 454 libraries.

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
              I've made a pipeline for just that, but it's work related and I can't post it. Anyway, it's a rather simple bash script that anyone could write. Everything starts from a map file from where relevant information is parsed and passed on to mothur for denoising. Then some header editing so every sequence surely has a unique ID (which is nice if you want to combine samples later on). Then back to QIIME for open reference otu picking. Nothing complicated. Almost everything QIIME related works just fine with default settings, however, in my experience more memory should be allocated to RDP-classifier, or you'll risk it hanging.

edit. My pipeline is for 454-data. Anyway, I'm going to adapt it for MiSeq data someday soon. Don't think much needs to be changed, just the preprocessing steps..

Comment

Check out this tutorial for Pre-processing Paired end Illumina data for QIIME

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses