Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired End Mapping using Bowtie

I am trying to map Illumina GA II E paired end reads to a reference genome.
    More than 80 % of the reads map when using single end mapping, but virtually none of the reads map when I am using paired end mapping.
    Can some one please have a look at the commands I am using and a typical example of a read I have pasted below ? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Adarsh Jose
    BCB, Iowa State University

I am using the following commands:

# paired end
    bowtie Ref/ZmB73_RefGenome -1 sample_s4_1.fastq -2 sample_s4_2.fastq s4PairedMapping.map -n 2 -e 250 -l 30 -I 400 -X 460 -m 10 --time --un Unmappedpaireds4 --max Multipaireds4 -S -p 4 --verbose

# single end
    bowtie Ref/ZmB73_RefGenome sample_s4_1.fastq s4SingleMapping_1.map -e 250 -l 30 -m 10 --time --un Unmappedsingles4_1 --max Multisingles4_1 -p 4
    bowtie Ref/ZmB73_RefGenome sample_s4_2.fastq s4SingleMapping_2.map -e 250 -l 30 -m 10 --time --un Unmappedsingles4_2 --max Multisingles4_2 -p 4

# An example mapping of a read pair

# Single end Pair1
    ILLUMINA-4750D6_00031:4:1:10005:2856#0/1 + chromosome:AGPv2:2:1:237068873:1 32492480 CGGCGATATAAAATAAACAACTCAGAAGCAAATCGACCCCAGAAGCCCGTCTTAC ffafff]_dfac\\\cccfcccfcf]d^]b`b[`R`dbb`bcccad`J]`b^R]^ 0 2:A>G

# Single end Pair2
    ILLUMINA-4750D6_00031:4:1:10005:2856#0/2 - chromosome:AGPv2:2:1:237068873:1 32492560 CCATGGCATCCGCTTCCTCCTCCCAGCAGAGAAGATTAGCCAGCTTGTAGTCCTTCTTCATAGGAGG ^]dbddd[Z^^[Z\U`^Icf[fehhhaefgh_ffdffd]_ffechehfccfa`X]^]T`]a\aaaad 0

#Paired End
    ILLUMINA-4750D6_00031:4:1:10005:2856#0 141 * 0 0 * * 0 0 CCTCCTATGAAGAAGGACTACAAGCTGGCTAATCTTCTCTGCTGGGAGGAGGAAGCGGATGCCATGG daaaa\a]`T]^]X`afccfhehceff_]dffdff_hgfeahhhef[fcI^`U\Z[^^Z[dddbd]^ XM:i:0

ILLUMINA-4750D6_00031:4:1:10005:2856#0 77 * 0 0 * * 0 0 CGGCGATATAAAATAAACAACTCAGAAGCAAATCGACCCCAGAAGCCCGTCTTAC ffafff]_dfac\\\cccfcccfcf]d^]b`b[`R`dbb`bcccad`J]`b^R]^ XM:i:0
    Last edited by adarshjose; 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM.

I am having the same problem. Did anyone solve it ?

Thanks
    Last edited by lakshmaa; 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Solution

It is a parsing problem. The reads in both the files have to be in the same order. That is, if the 5th read in pair_1.fastq is A, then the corresponding 5th read in pair_2.fastq must also be A.

To illustrate:

This will work:

pair_1.fastq

1. >readA /1
      2. >readB /1
      3. >readC /1
      4. >readD /1

pair_2.fastq

1. >readA /2
      2. >readB /2
      3. >readC /2
      4. >readD /2

but here only the 1st read pairs- readA will get mapped.

pair_1.fastq

1. >readA /1
      2. >readC /1
      3. >readD /1

pair_2.fastq

1. >readA /2
      2. >readB /2
      3. >readC /2
      4. >readD /2

Comment

Thank you ! I will look into it

Comment

Hi,

I'm new to using Bowtie for paired-end mapping and too have encountered the same issue.

Did you manage to solve the parsing problem? or is there a way to program bowtie to come around the problem?

Many thanks

Comment

Its is a parsing problem

I don't think Bowtie takes care of this. Both the files must have the reads in the same order. Please have a look at my previous post.

Comment

Hmm do you have any suggestion as to how to combat this issue?

After clipping adaptor sequencing and trimming, often read2 becomes very short and poor in quality, which will get discarded. Do you think maintaining as much reads as possible would reduce this type of error?

Comment

Split the reads into those with and without pairs

Just split the reads after filtering into those with and without pairs. Use paired end mapping for the cases where both reads are retained after filtering and unpaired mapping for the remaining reads.

Comment

Thank you for the advise.

Sorry for replying very simple question. I'm really an experimental biologist, not an experience bioinformatician. Is there a FASTQ manipulation tool or command that allows you to apply the filter for pairs?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses