No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miRNA Extraction from Plasma

Dear all,

I'm currently working on the isolation of miRNA from canine and human plasma samples. Using the Qiagen column based protocol, I have been able to isolate around 300pg/ul of miRNA (based upon a 4-40nt region using Agilent small RNA chips) although I understand this is insufficient to proceed to library preparation. My overall aim is to use SOLiD to determine differentially expressed miRNA (both known and novel) from clinical plasma samples of <= 1ml.

I wonder whether anyone else has had any more success in obtaining a higher miRNA yield, or whether anyone could recommend any amplification methods / isolation protocols? To date, I've not had much luck in finding any publications to guide us.

Best wishes,

D

We had the final concentration similar to yours. In some papers, authors claim much higher yield but I have an impression that it is just due to wrong S/F quantification.
    I never tried to make library for sequencing, but - maybe your amount will be still sufficient? In the protocol, chapter "Prepare Small RNA Libraries", it is said "If you started with enriched/purified small RNA and input 1–10 ng, run 18 cycles." 10 ng corresponds to 33 mkl of your product - which seems doable, doesn't it?

Comment

Moving to Sample Prep

Comment

Originally posted by aushev View Post
        We had the final concentration similar to yours. In some papers, authors claim much higher yield but I have an impression that it is just due to wrong S/F quantification.
        I never tried to make library for sequencing, but - maybe your amount will be still sufficient? In the protocol, chapter "Prepare Small RNA Libraries", it is said "If you started with enriched/purified small RNA and input 1–10 ng, run 18 cycles." 10 ng corresponds to 33 mkl of your product - which seems doable, doesn't it?
        Dear Aushev,

Many thanks for your response. I agree, the higher concentrations are likely a result of inaccurate quantification although it's always nice to hear someone else is getting similar yields to ourselves!

With regards small RNA preparations, yes, it is doable although we were trying to gain enough sample to run both deep-seq and miRNA array from the same extract. I am going to run the library preparation in the next week or so, so will report on any progress.

Many thanks once again,

D

Comment

Originally posted by DrDTonge View Post
          With regards small RNA preparations, yes, it is doable although we were trying to gain enough sample to run both deep-seq and miRNA array from the same extract. I am going to run the library preparation in the next week or so, so will report on any progress.

Many thanks once again,

D
          I will be very thankful to hear any news about your experience on deep sequencing of plasma miRNA as I will probably try to do the same (also on SOLiD) in future.

Good luck and all the best for your experiments.

Comment

Hello,

I have question about your experience with miRNAs in plasma so far. When you sequenced for miRs, did you get an estimate of what kind of depth you need to enrich / detect most miRNAs in your sample?

I know that with tissue samples one can detect most miRNA content with anywhere from 5-10 million reads/sample. Anyone know / have an idea for plasma? Would 500K - 1M reads / sample be a decent depth?

Thanks,
            Vivek

Comment

I am also curious whether anything up to 2 million reads is enough for plasma derived small rna...i feel the standard 5-10 million reads is much. With qiagen mirneasy the percentage of 4-40nt abundance assessed by agilents small rna quant kit is about 30%.

Comment

I am currently looking into miRNeasy serum/plasma kit for dog serum samples. It claims that RNA from serum and plasma typically consists of molecules <100 nucleotides. Purified RNA can then be used for biomarker discovery with the miScript PCR System.

Does anyone here use the kit? Any additional enrichment/purification necessary? I am going to do Illumina seq. thank you for your opinion.

thanks

Comment

Hi all who have some experience/knowledge in working with RNA from plasma.

I just did some extractions and was deterred when I ran the RNA Nano on the bioanalyzer and found no trace of RNA.
                  I then ran the samples on the 'small RNA' bioanalyzer chip and this time we were able to pick up some RNA.

Attached below is one of our 'good' results.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	smallRNAfromPlasma.png
Views:	2
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	304650

So, I have a couple of questions:
                  Is this trace what one would expect from plasma RNA?
                  And, is this sufficient amount of RNA to construct a 'small RNA' library?

Any kind of help or comments would be appreciated.
                  Many thanks,
                  blanco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses