Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! We did think of using Nextera exome kit but have no experience on that before. Can you let me know how the result turns out when it is out? That would be great help to decide how to proceed. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by henry.wood View Post
      We are currently awaiting the results of FFPE exomes. We used the illumina nextera exome kits. They worked with <100ng DNA from FFPE samples. The libraries looked fine, but we won't know how the data turns out for a week or so.
      I know people have used sureselect kits with FFPE in the past, but I think they need higher amounts of template. I don't know about truseq.
      Hey Henry,

I would like to reiterate HoneyBee's question. Were you successful using the Nextera DNA prep/exome enrichment with FFPE samples? How degraded was the DNA prior library prep and what was the final library size distribution?

Thanks.

Comment

I'd forgotten I said I'd report back. Oops. So the libraries worked OK. The DNA was reasonably good quality for FFPE, so degraded a bit, but still possible to do 500bp PCRs. It was proper surgical material pulled out of the archives though, not just quickly fixed and then immediately extracted, so a reasonable test. The libraries all had a size range between 200bp and 1000bp with normalish distribution. We did some fresh libraries at the same time and the FFPE ones looked the same.
        When we did the sequencing, we were a little disappointed with the percentage on target, around 50-60, but this was the same for fixed and fresh, so just a product of the kit, rather than the samples. For what we want to do, this makes the sequencing a bit pricey, as we can restrict ourselves to only the best samples and use sureselect, so we then don't need to sequence as much to get the same depth. If sequencing cost isn't such an issue, but you only have a few samples which absolutely must get done, then it would be fine.

Comment

wow~ Good news that Nextera exome works on FFPE samples.
          May I know the fragment size of your FFPE samples? We are now working on some FFPE samples with fragment size < 100 bp... majority at ~50 bp.. How can you get FFPE DNA of good quality? We never get DNA larger than 200 bp..
          Btw, just heard from Illumina that they are going to discontinue Nextera exome kit. Are you seeking alternatives right now?

Originally posted by henry.wood View Post
          I'd forgotten I said I'd report back. Oops. So the libraries worked OK. The DNA was reasonably good quality for FFPE, so degraded a bit, but still possible to do 500bp PCRs. It was proper surgical material pulled out of the archives though, not just quickly fixed and then immediately extracted, so a reasonable test. The libraries all had a size range between 200bp and 1000bp with normalish distribution. We did some fresh libraries at the same time and the FFPE ones looked the same.
          When we did the sequencing, we were a little disappointed with the percentage on target, around 50-60, but this was the same for fixed and fresh, so just a product of the kit, rather than the samples. For what we want to do, this makes the sequencing a bit pricey, as we can restrict ourselves to only the best samples and use sureselect, so we then don't need to sequence as much to get the same depth. If sequencing cost isn't such an issue, but you only have a few samples which absolutely must get done, then it would be fine.
          Last edited by HoneyBee; 03-05-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I guess I'm a bit luckier than you with my sample sizes. Most of the FFPE samples have a fairly wide size range. The peak is around 100-200bp, but the tail often goes as high as 700bp. We prepare the DNA using the QIAamp DNA micro kit. I suspect that the kit doesn't matter too much, but that the damage gets done when the tissue is fixed. There are a wide range of fixing protocols, and some will damage the DNA more than others. We have no control over this, as we get our samples from the archives. We have plenty that don't work, but we don't attempt to sequence them.
            I hadn't heard that the nextera exome kits were stopping. We only used them as a trial. We'll probably go with sure select in future, since the percentage of reads on target is better. I've heard there are some FFPE tweaks you can do with their methods, but I haven't tried them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBee View Post
              Btw, just heard from Illumina that they are going to discontinue Nextera exome kit. Are you seeking alternatives right now?
              I believe it is more of a replacement than discontinuation. Illumina is releasing the "New and Improved" Nextera Rapid Capture Exome Kit. As far as I can tell the protocol is identical but with the Rapid kit they say you go from DNA to library in 1.5 days vs 2.5 days for the current kit. They also call it Rapid to tie the protocol to the HiSeq 2500/1500 Rapid Run Mode so you can go from DNA to data in 2.5 days.

One difference is that the standard kit only covers 37Mbp of CDS only. They also have a Nextera Rapid Capture Expanded Exome Kit. I can't seem to dig up product specs for this one but I would guess that it expands coverage to the UTRs and flanking regions like the current TruSeq and Nextera Exome kits (target sizes of 62Mbp).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses