No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLA typing with bwakit

Dear all,

has somebody attempted HLA typing with bwakit and can share some experience?
    I have whole exome sequencing data of human individuals for who I would like to do HLA typing. I ran the bwakit as instructed in the Readme, but have problems interpreting the output. Here are the first few lines from the out.hla.all for HLA-B for one individual.
    Code:
    HLA-B*50:01:01  HLA-B*55:01:01  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:02  HLA-B*55:01:01  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:04  HLA-B*55:01:01  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:01  HLA-B*55:01:03  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:02  HLA-B*55:01:03  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:04  HLA-B*55:01:03  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:01  HLA-B*55:01:07  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:02  HLA-B*55:01:07  0       0       2
    HLA-B*50:01:04  HLA-B*55:01:07  0       0       2
    Here Heng Li explains the meaning of columns 3 to 5:
    column 3: #mismatches on the primary exon(s)
    column 4: #mismatches on all considered exons
    column 5: #exons used in typing

My questions are:
    1. What are columns 1 and 2? I would have expected results for one allele, not two.
    2. What is the "best" or the "true" allele? The out.hla.top file simply gives the first line of the out.hla.all for each gene, but from the evidence in the out.hla.all file, the first line does not seem to be better than the second or third.
    3. Would you say that given high coverage exome sequencing data, one should be able to clearly identify (with bwakit) the true allele an individual has for each of the HLA genes?

Thank you
    Eva
    Last edited by evakoe; 05-08-2017, 06:08 AM.

For the people interested in this post:
    1. I assume the first two columns are the HLA alleles for the two human alleles, so the HLA-B allele is heterozygous in this case.
    2. The coverage was probably not high enough to determine a six digit resolution. After all, the first four digits are allthe same, and the last two are variable. I ran OptiType on the same sample which gave the output
    Code:
    B1	B2
    B*50:01	B*55:01
    3. The coverage on this sample is about 25X, which apparently is enough for four digit resolution with bwakit, but not for six digit resolution.
    Last edited by evakoe; 05-17-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

hi evakoe,

which command did you use? cuz i'm trying to do the same but it's not working.
      i'm using this:
      run-bwamem -o NA12878-hs38 -t 20 -H -s /gpfs/data_jrnas1/ref_data/Hsapiens/hs38DH/hs38DH.fa NA12878_2.fastq.gz NA12878_1.fastq.gz |sh
      and it doesn't give me sorted bam or HLA typing.

Comment

The command I used was
        Code:
        run-bwamem -t 4 -R "@RG\tID:myID\tSM:mySM\tPL:myPL\tLB:myLB\tPU:myPU" -H -d -s -o sample BWAindex sample_1.fastq sample_2.fastq | sh
        and it ran as expected

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses