Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools to determine sequence contamination in Methyl-Seq data ?

Hi,

I have a question regarding determining sequence contamination from Methyl-Seq experiments.

As we all know, for Methyl-Seq experiments, the bisulfite conversion step converts unmethylated C's to U's, which after sequencing become T's.

I have Methyl-Seq data from a supposedly "human" sample sequenced on MiSeq, and the problem is that only 20% of the reads map to human reference hg19, using a methyl-seq specialized aligner BSMAP.

I wish to find out where the 80% of the sequences are coming from, since they don't map to human.

As we can intuitively see, I cannot just do something like take the overrepresented sequences from FASTQC, and do a quick BLAST to search for possible contamination from other organisms, since the overrepresented sequences could be bisulfite converted.

Is there a tool out there that works like BLAST but takes into account bisulfite conversion while mapping sequences ? I know I could use BSMAP on the unmapped sequences (from human) and try and map them to other organisms, but that would take a longer time.

Are there any other easy to use approaches I am missing out on ?

I would just map the reads to the genome of potential contamination organism.
    I once got a RRBS library which is supposed to be human but the mapping efficiency is < 1%. I then tried to map to mouse and got 44% mapping efficiency. It turns out most of the DNA for library construction are contaminations from mouse feeder cells when we are making the human iPSC.

Comment

Originally posted by gandalf886 View Post
      I would just map the reads to the genome of potential contamination organism.
      I once got a RRBS library which is supposed to be human but the mapping efficiency is < 1%. I then tried to map to mouse and got 44% mapping efficiency. It turns out most of the DNA for library construction are contaminations from mouse feeder cells when we are making the human iPSC.
      I tried mapping to mouse but no luck. My problem is that I don't really know potential contaminant organisms in this case.

I will have to map to anything and everything to find out what could be the contaminant.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses