SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tophat-fusion-post:known fusions? mrfox Bioinformatics 0 01-19-2012 08:04 AM
My First Post sciencewu Introductions 0 08-29-2011 07:04 PM
Disregard (not sure how to delete post) DrD2009 Bioinformatics 4 08-07-2010 02:18 PM
First post jsb Introductions 0 02-26-2010 11:46 AM
First Post for New Vendor Forum Genomatix Vendor Forum 3 04-09-2009 12:07 PM

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
fangquan

Default How to delete a post ?

Sorry I accidentally post the same thread many times, I was not able to figure out how to delete posts here. Can somebody teach me ?

Thanks very much,
Quan
fangquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer

I deleted them for you.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Heisman

Is there any particular reason there is no feature that allows us to delete posts/threads? I know I've made a couple of threads asking questions, then figured out the answer, and would have liked to delete them as they hadn't been answered yet and were just a waste of space. Then again, there is not so much traffic on this forum that this would be a real issue.
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
Is there any particular reason there is no feature that allows us to delete posts/threads? I know I've made a couple of threads asking questions, then figured out the answer, and would have liked to delete them as they hadn't been answered yet and were just a waste of space. Then again, there is not so much traffic on this forum that this would be a real issue.
No particular reasons, other than that's the default setting, and it wouldn't make sense if the original poster could nuke an entire thread with other responses.

It would be great if, when you found the answer to your question, you posted it in your own thread so future googlers could find it.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Heisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
No particular reasons, other than that's the default setting, and it wouldn't make sense if the original poster could nuke an entire thread with other responses.

It would be great if, when you found the answer to your question, you posted it in your own thread so future googlers could find it.
I've done that.

One feature I've seen at other forums is that there is a time limit for how long after creating a thread that it can be deleted (ie, 4 hours). Not sure if that's possible to set up but that would maybe give the best of both worlds. Something to consider.
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
pmiguel

If someone has replied to a post, I don't think the thread should be deletable.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
GenoMax

How about being able to delete a specific "post" (that you own) in a thread. I do not think that is possible currently.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
I've done that.

One feature I've seen at other forums is that there is a time limit for how long after creating a thread that it can be deleted (ie, 4 hours). Not sure if that's possible to set up but that would maybe give the best of both worlds. Something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
If someone has replied to a post, I don't think the thread should be deletable.

--
Phillip
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
How about being able to delete a specific "post" (that you own) in a thread. I do not think that is possible currently.
I agree with all of these. I just enabled that for the "Registered Members" usergroup (means you have successfully posted X times without tripping the spam filter). Try it out under the "Edit" button in the lower right of your post.

You will NOT be able to delete your own threads, as I don't see a restriction like pmiguel suggested...I'm still reading about mods that might enable that.

Thanks guys. Feedback is helpful.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
GenoMax

Thanks for enabling the delete post feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
I just enabled that for the "Registered Members" usergroup (means you have successfully posted X times without tripping the spam filter). Try it out under the "Edit" button in the lower right of your post.

Thanks guys. Feedback is helpful.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
imsharmanitin

i posted same post both on biostars and seqanswers without knowing the fact that posts can't be deleted on seqanswers.

i think post deletion should be allowed in certain cases. a person can send the delete request with the reasons and if they are justified then admin can delete them.
imsharmanitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #11
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharmanitin View Post
i posted same post both on biostars and seqanswers without knowing the fact that posts can't be deleted on seqanswers.

i think post deletion should be allowed in certain cases. a person can send the delete request with the reasons and if they are justified then admin can delete them.
After the SEQanswer's software recognizes you as a "registered user", you will be able to delete your own posts. I'm not sure how many successful posts are required before you are "registered", though.

Why do you want to delete the post? Are you getting guff from the BioStars guys about posting the same question on both sites?

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
runnerBio88

I posted something, then I found the answer in the web. Should be able to delete my post.
runnerBio88 is offline   Reply With Quote