SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tophat-fusion-post:known fusions? mrfox Bioinformatics 0 01-19-2012 08:04 AM
My First Post sciencewu Introductions 0 08-29-2011 07:04 PM
Disregard (not sure how to delete post) DrD2009 Bioinformatics 4 08-07-2010 02:18 PM
First post jsb Introductions 0 02-26-2010 11:46 AM
First Post for New Vendor Forum Genomatix Vendor Forum 3 04-09-2009 12:07 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
fangquan
Member
 
Location: Boston

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
Default How to delete a post ?

Sorry I accidentally post the same thread many times, I was not able to figure out how to delete posts here. Can somebody teach me ?

Thanks very much,
Quan
fangquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer
 
nilshomer's Avatar
 
Location: Boston, MA, USA

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,285
Default

I deleted them for you.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Heisman
Senior Member
 
Location: St. Louis

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 535
Default

Is there any particular reason there is no feature that allows us to delete posts/threads? I know I've made a couple of threads asking questions, then figured out the answer, and would have liked to delete them as they hadn't been answered yet and were just a waste of space. Then again, there is not so much traffic on this forum that this would be a real issue.
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
Is there any particular reason there is no feature that allows us to delete posts/threads? I know I've made a couple of threads asking questions, then figured out the answer, and would have liked to delete them as they hadn't been answered yet and were just a waste of space. Then again, there is not so much traffic on this forum that this would be a real issue.
No particular reasons, other than that's the default setting, and it wouldn't make sense if the original poster could nuke an entire thread with other responses.

It would be great if, when you found the answer to your question, you posted it in your own thread so future googlers could find it.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Heisman
Senior Member
 
Location: St. Louis

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
No particular reasons, other than that's the default setting, and it wouldn't make sense if the original poster could nuke an entire thread with other responses.

It would be great if, when you found the answer to your question, you posted it in your own thread so future googlers could find it.
I've done that.

One feature I've seen at other forums is that there is a time limit for how long after creating a thread that it can be deleted (ie, 4 hours). Not sure if that's possible to set up but that would maybe give the best of both worlds. Something to consider.
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
pmiguel
Senior Member
 
Location: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,276
Default

If someone has replied to a post, I don't think the thread should be deletable.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
GenoMax
Senior Member
 
Location: East Coast USA

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,731
Default

How about being able to delete a specific "post" (that you own) in a thread. I do not think that is possible currently.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
ECO
--Site Admin--
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
I've done that.

One feature I've seen at other forums is that there is a time limit for how long after creating a thread that it can be deleted (ie, 4 hours). Not sure if that's possible to set up but that would maybe give the best of both worlds. Something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
If someone has replied to a post, I don't think the thread should be deletable.

--
Phillip
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
How about being able to delete a specific "post" (that you own) in a thread. I do not think that is possible currently.
I agree with all of these. I just enabled that for the "Registered Members" usergroup (means you have successfully posted X times without tripping the spam filter). Try it out under the "Edit" button in the lower right of your post.

You will NOT be able to delete your own threads, as I don't see a restriction like pmiguel suggested...I'm still reading about mods that might enable that.

Thanks guys. Feedback is helpful.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
GenoMax
Senior Member
 
Location: East Coast USA

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,731
Default

Thanks for enabling the delete post feature.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
I just enabled that for the "Registered Members" usergroup (means you have successfully posted X times without tripping the spam filter). Try it out under the "Edit" button in the lower right of your post.

Thanks guys. Feedback is helpful.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
imsharmanitin
Member
 
Location: cambridge,UK

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 16
Default

i posted same post both on biostars and seqanswers without knowing the fact that posts can't be deleted on seqanswers.

i think post deletion should be allowed in certain cases. a person can send the delete request with the reasons and if they are justified then admin can delete them.
imsharmanitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #11
pmiguel
Senior Member
 
Location: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharmanitin View Post
i posted same post both on biostars and seqanswers without knowing the fact that posts can't be deleted on seqanswers.

i think post deletion should be allowed in certain cases. a person can send the delete request with the reasons and if they are justified then admin can delete them.
After the SEQanswer's software recognizes you as a "registered user", you will be able to delete your own posts. I'm not sure how many successful posts are required before you are "registered", though.

Why do you want to delete the post? Are you getting guff from the BioStars guys about posting the same question on both sites?

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
runnerBio88
Member
 
Location: Spain

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Default

I posted something, then I found the answer in the web. Should be able to delete my post.
runnerBio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO