No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment of >30 genomes with mauve?

Hi all,

Relatively new to all this, I tried progressiveMauve to align more than >25 bacterial genomes and it repeatedly crashed after a few hours. When I align ~10 it works perfectly. I was told by other members of my lab that mauve tends to not work so much with a larger number of genomes.

The question may seem trivial to most of you, sorry in advance, but which genome alignment tool would you use to do this? Still, I like mauve; so would there be a way for it to work with a larger number of genomes?

Thanks for your time and help!

Best,

G

Whole Bacterial Genome Alignment

Of course, Mummer is the classic 'alignment' tool; and Progressive Mauve is built to purpose; but I may have something which can help you - a colleague has built a tool that uses progressive ortholog identification to construct phylogenies; but by virtue of the method, it can provide the core information for a progressive alignment as well - and currently it is robust to a relatively large number of genomes. It would need some extension to provide assembled whole genome or contig alignment.

Comment

I've successfully aligned 20 genomes with Mauve but it took some time, over a day and I needed to assign extra memory to the task (do this via the Java options a la http://www.mail-archive.com/mauve-us.../msg00137.html)

You might also want to consider looking at Mugsy from the Salzberg group (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...tq665.abstract) which can apparently align 31 Streptococcus genomes in 2 hours.

And of course bckirkup's suggestion sounds interesting too!

Comment

I will try Mugsy and come back here if any other problem. Thanks!

@bckirkup: what's the name of the tool made by your colleague?

G

Comment

Reg Mugsy Usage

Hi,

I am trying to align human chr1 and mouse chr 1 using Mugsy. I am facing difficulties in getting it to work.

These are the steps I followed. Can someone help.

I have the 2 files Ch1_human, chr1_mouse in FASTA format.

I could install Mugsy
          It asks me to set the the MUGSY_INSTALL path. I set it using
          bash
          export MUGSY_INSTALL= <working directory>

source <path of mugsyenv.sh>

I dont have root permissions on the server I use.

I get the following error in mugsy.
          20120407|225222| 4601| ERROR: The following critical files could not be used
          20120407|225222| 4601| ./mugsy_output/tmp.chr1.delta
          20120407|225222| 4601| ./mugsy_output/tmp.chr1.cluster
          20120407|225222| 4601| ./mugsy_output/tmp.chr1.mgaps
          20120407|225222| 4601| ./mugsy_output/tmp.chr1.ntref
          20120407|225222| 4601| /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/ccs/usman/12/srividya/Thesis/mugsy_x86-64-v1r2.2/mugsy_output/mugsy_output/tmp.chr1.queries.fsa
          20120407|225222| 4601| /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/ccs/usman/12/srividya/Thesis/mugsy_x86-64-v1r2.2/mugsy_output/mugsy_output/chr1
          20120407|225222| 4601| Check your paths and file permissions and try again

I checked the file permissions. it is proper.

can anyone please help ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses