SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need feedback on RADseq using enzyme BbvCI barn88 Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 05-24-2017 08:29 AM
Shearing digested DNA for RADseq IanAWarren Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 11-17-2016 04:19 AM
batch effect in radseq oselm De novo discovery 1 11-10-2016 06:43 PM
RADseq flyingoyster Illumina/Solexa 27 02-10-2015 01:49 PM
ezRAD and other RADseq blair.chr Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 09-01-2014 04:05 PM

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
barn88

Default Questions about RADseq oligo

I will be genotpying ~500 samples using the original RADseq protocol, and I have a couple of questions.

First, is desalting a sufficient purification method for the barcoded adapters? I plan to order P1 adapters with 48 different barcodes, and other purification methods add significantly to the cost so I'm wondering if the added cost is worth it.

Second, I would like to use combinatorial multiplexing by using barcodes for individual samples plus an index to identify separate pools of samples. In ddRAD, the index is incorporated into one of the PCR primers, but in the original RAD protocol the PCR primer is shorter and has no appropriate place for an index.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to modify the original RADseq protocol to allow combinatorial multiplexing?
barn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Carcharodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn88 View Post
I will be genotpying ~500 samples using the original RADseq protocol, and I have a couple of questions.

First, is desalting a sufficient purification method for the barcoded adapters? I plan to order P1 adapters with 48 different barcodes, and other purification methods add significantly to the cost so I'm wondering if the added cost is worth it.

Second, I would like to use combinatorial multiplexing by using barcodes for individual samples plus an index to identify separate pools of samples. In ddRAD, the index is incorporated into one of the PCR primers, but in the original RAD protocol the PCR primer is shorter and has no appropriate place for an index.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to modify the original RADseq protocol to allow combinatorial multiplexing?
1) I've done ddRAD, and a couple of other folks I know have also done ddRAD, and we just use standard desalting. The HPLC purification that is often recommended is considerably more expensive, and we've had good results without it.

Other methods of purification, like HPLC, make sure that nucleotides on the 5' end of an oligo aren't cut off during synthesis (rather, it makes sure that those that WERE cut short on the 5' end don't make it into the final product). That might be a consideration for T-overhangs that are used for the P2 adapter for RADseq (and might be less of a consideration for the longer overhangs in ddRAD). But others can chime in on that.

2) Why not just design your P2 adapter and primer after the Peterson et al. (2012) protocol? Literally the only thing you'd have to do differently is take their P2 adapter and change the sticky-end to append to an A-tail. Or am I missing some nuance here?

Last edited by Carcharodon; 08-02-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
barn88

Thanks for your response. I had considered modifying the ddRAD P2 adapter; I just wanted to see what suggestions other people made.
barn88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapters, index, multiplex primer, oligos, radseq