SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excessive adapter dimer in Chip input samples but not in IP samples mia2025 Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 07-28-2017 07:11 AM
How to extract SNPs between samples, but not between samples and reference. MGCBrown Bioinformatics 1 07-05-2017 08:43 AM
Methyl-Seq: Lib prep (MspI;HpaII) for mouse samples causes issues for human samples F.L. Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 07-22-2015 06:04 PM
multiplexing 16 samples together ran on 4 lanes or multiplexing 4 samples per lane? zatoichi888 Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 03-30-2014 10:16 AM
PubMed: Saliva samples are a viable alternative to blood samples as a source of DNA f Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-07-2013 01:20 AM

Old 08-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
tirohia

Default Too many samples

So I've been given transcriptome data for ... quite a lot of samples (>500). It's all from various tumours from one specific tumour type. There's a clinical grading for how serious each tumour is.

My concern is that, given it's cancer, within the groups formed by the clinical grading, there's probably a fair amount of variability. Which means that if we attempt differential expression analysis, then it's possible (likely?) that the differences within the clinical grading could obscure the differences between the groups.

If one is looking for the best way to identify several different sets of genes for each clinical grading group, so as to be able to identify them, what's the best approach? My initial thoughts involve some form of clustering to identify sub groups within each clinical grading, but without knowing which genes to look at beforehand, that's going to end up with me attempting to cluster 20,000 odd genes, which, if I recall correctly, would be prohibitive, time-wise.

What's the best approach for this sort of thing?
tirohia is offline   Reply With Quote