SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ampure versus Ampure XP seqgirl123 Sample Prep / Library Generation 49 03-19-2015 03:02 AM
Good Beads / Best Beads paolo.kunder SOLiD 2 03-27-2013 02:12 PM
AMPure, amplicons and GS Jr enrichment beads suefo 454 Pyrosequencing 17 02-06-2012 03:24 AM
TruSeq RNA initial concentration and Ampure beads OnUrMark Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 09-27-2011 08:37 AM
SPRI lib prep? BIG_SNP Illumina/Solexa 32 03-23-2011 08:42 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Tali7
Junior Member
 
Location: United Kingdom

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Default AMPure XP vs SPRI beads

Hey guys

Curious as to which system you think is better? I've been trawling this forum regarding size selection using magnetic beads, for use in RADseq (a modified gDNA illumina prep). I'm just a little confused -

- can you buy SPRI beads separately from the technology/hardware? I can't find anything on the beckman page for just SPRI beads. Or am I being dumb and the beads rely on the hardware to work, so you have to buy the whole system for automated library prep?

- are AMPure XP beads (which I have access to) just as good at size selection as SPRI beads? I'm hearing a lot more about the SPRI system on this forum for size selection, rather than the XP beads.

Ideally I would like to size select for fragments 300-500bp, for which I'm aware I'll probably need to do a double selection (one to eradiate fragments >500bp, the other to eradicate fragments <300bp), which is fine.

Also, if anyone knows a good method to calculate the beadNA ratio other than trial and error, that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Tali
Tali7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Chipper
Senior Member
 
Location: Sweden

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 324
Default

Ampure XP beads are SPRI beads. It is easy to test on a ladder, or look at the metagenomics paper in PloS one for the ratios.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Tali7
Junior Member
 
Location: United Kingdom

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Ahh ok, I hadn't realised that! I'll try out a couple of ratios (based on that paper, thanks for that reference) on a ladder.

Thanks a lot
Tali7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
xiaoyuan zi
Junior Member
 
Location: new haven

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Ampure XP beads are SPRI beads. It is easy to test on a ladder, or look at the metagenomics paper in PloS one for the ratios.
I need the complete information of "the metagenomics paper in PloS one ". Thanks.
xiaoyuan zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
xiaoyuan zi
Junior Member
 
Location: new haven

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali7 View Post
Ahh ok, I hadn't realised that! I'll try out a couple of ratios (based on that paper, thanks for that reference) on a ladder.

Thanks a lot
I want to know your result about the ratios. Thanks.
xiaoyuan zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Ber7702
Registered Vendor
 
Location: UK

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Hi Tali,
You are correct that the website is a little confusing! Our SPRI products are on the Beckman Coulter Genomics website. Here is a link directly through to the AMPure XP page.

https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...tion/index.htm

If you have any further questions or queries then do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes
Ber7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
xiaoyuan zi
Junior Member
 
Location: new haven

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Hi,

Thank you! I have the SPRI bead. I will use it to select PCR product of 300-500bp size. I use the recommend protocal but the cut-off is not clear. On the website I can not find any information. Can you help me?
xiaoyuan zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
lucyyang1991
Junior Member
 
Location: china

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Default your link still is confusing

hi, your link is wrong, there's no product information.
I'm just wondering if there is a way to search in your company website!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber7702 View Post
Hi Tali,
You are correct that the website is a little confusing! Our SPRI products are on the Beckman Coulter Genomics website. Here is a link directly through to the AMPure XP page.

https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...tion/index.htm

If you have any further questions or queries then do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes
lucyyang1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Ber7702
Registered Vendor
 
Location: UK

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Dear LucyYang1991,
That is strange, I just clicked the link and it took me directly to the AMPureXP page. If it is your first time to the website, you may need to select your region and it should then take you to the product page.

You could try this link to our Life Sciences page.

https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...very/index.htm

There is a small magnifying glass in the top right. Click on that to bring up the search bar.
Ber7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Ber7702
Registered Vendor
 
Location: UK

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Apologies, I was not notified that you had responded to my link. I realise this is now a very late reply but the cut off is around 120-150bp when using the standard x1.8 ratio.

It is not a sharp cutoff. You will still get some products smaller than the cutoff but with significantly reduced amounts. Below 100bp or so all the fragments will be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyuan zi View Post
Hi,

Thank you! I have the SPRI bead. I will use it to select PCR product of 300-500bp size. I use the recommend protocal but the cut-off is not clear. On the website I can not find any information. Can you help me?
Ber7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
lucyyang1991
Junior Member
 
Location: china

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Default

OK, thanks a lot, this is the first time to the website. Maybe that's the problem here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber7702 View Post
Dear LucyYang1991,
That is strange, I just clicked the link and it took me directly to the AMPureXP page. If it is your first time to the website, you may need to select your region and it should then take you to the product page.

You could try this link to our Life Sciences page.

https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrpo...very/index.htm

There is a small magnifying glass in the top right. Click on that to bring up the search bar.
lucyyang1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
hssalgh2
Junior Member
 
Location: liverpool

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Ampure XP beads are SPRI beads. It is easy to test on a ladder, or look at the metagenomics paper in PloS one for the ratios.
hi
i am testing the ampure beads to see is it working or not on a ladder DNA but i got band in 100 pb and i did not understand it can you see my attached image!
how do we know if the Ampure beads working or not ?

thank you very much.
comparing beads 11.7.17.jpg
hssalgh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
Carcharodon
Member
 
Location: Honolulu, HI

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssalgh2 View Post
hi
i am testing the ampure beads to see is it working or not on a ladder DNA but i got band in 100 pb and i did not understand it can you see my attached image!
how do we know if the Ampure beads working or not ?

thank you very much.
Attachment 4827
We would need to know what the conditions of your test were and which lanes correspond to which treatment before we could really answer your question. Could you tell us these things?

Also, from what I understand, it's better to test the beads on enzyme-digested lambda-DNA (to generate a known fragment size profile) rather than on pre-packaged DNA ladder. Something about an ingredient inhibiting binding/elution (I'm fuzzy on the details). This may or may not be true, however, so take it with a grain of salt.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
hssalgh2
Junior Member
 
Location: liverpool

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
We would need to know what the conditions of your test were and which lanes correspond to which treatment before we could really answer your question. Could you tell us these things?

Also, from what I understand, it's better to test the beads on enzyme-digested lambda-DNA (to generate a known fragment size profile) rather than on pre-packaged DNA ladder. Something about an ingredient inhibiting binding/elution (I'm fuzzy on the details). This may or may not be true, however, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks for your reply and please see the attached Protocol that I had used for
Testing beads.
I use 2 microliter of ladder DNA diluted with 18 microliter of dearer and I add 36 microliter of beads then I complete the steps that in the attached file.
Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf serapure_v2-2-4.pdf (226.9 KB, 16 views)
hssalgh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Carcharodon
Member
 
Location: Honolulu, HI

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssalgh2 View Post
Thanks for your reply and please see the attached Protocol that I had used for
Testing beads.
I use 2 microliter of ladder DNA diluted with 18 microliter of dearer and I add 36 microliter of beads then I complete the steps that in the attached file.
Many thanks
I see! Well, I'd recommend using a ratio slightly less than 1.8x. I'd lower that to 1.5x or so and see if it makes a difference (30 uL AmpureXP to 20 uL ladder dilution).
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #16
hssalgh2
Junior Member
 
Location: liverpool

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
I see! Well, I'd recommend using a ratio slightly less than 1.8x. I'd lower that to 1.5x or so and see if it makes a difference (30 uL AmpureXP to 20 uL ladder dilution).
Thanks. I have chosen this ratio because I am planning to do 16s rRNA amplicon sequencing so I have 96 samples and I will do nested PCR. So what do you think about this ?
Many thanks
hssalgh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #17
Carcharodon
Member
 
Location: Honolulu, HI

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssalgh2 View Post
Thanks. I have chosen this ratio because I am planning to do 16s rRNA amplicon sequencing so I have 96 samples and I will do nested PCR. So what do you think about this ?
Many thanks
I don't think it should be much of a problem, unless I'm misunderstanding something. If the lower ratio is a concern, I would recommend taking one (or a few) of your PCR products and trying both ratios on them, running them out on a gel.

So on the gel you would run:

1) PCR Product w/o cleanup
2) PCR Product w/ cleanup at 1.8x
3) PCR Product w/ cleanup at 1.5x

...and see if there's a difference.

It's a bit of extra work, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. This approach may also be better than testing on a ladder, since you'll be working with the PCR products directly (rather than with a ladder which may or may not have an inhibitory effect on the SPRI beads).
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
hssalgh2
Junior Member
 
Location: liverpool

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
I don't think it should be much of a problem, unless I'm misunderstanding something. If the lower ratio is a concern, I would recommend taking one (or a few) of your PCR products and trying both ratios on them, running them out on a gel.

So on the gel you would run:

1) PCR Product w/o cleanup
2) PCR Product w/ cleanup at 1.8x
3) PCR Product w/ cleanup at 1.5x

...and see if there's a difference.

It's a bit of extra work, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. This approach may also be better than testing on a ladder, since you'll be working with the PCR products directly (rather than with a ladder which may or may not have an inhibitory effect on the SPRI beads).
Ok. I will do waht you suggested. Then I see
I am thinking about PCR cycling for the first round is 18 cycle and in the second round is25cycle so is it ok to increase the cycle in the first round to 35 cycle what do you suggest?
Many thanks
hssalgh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #19
Carcharodon
Member
 
Location: Honolulu, HI

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssalgh2 View Post
Ok. I will do waht you suggested. Then I see
I am thinking about PCR cycling for the first round is 18 cycle and in the second round is25cycle so is it ok to increase the cycle in the first round to 35 cycle what do you suggest?
Many thanks
This is probably better left for someone else to answer. I don't have any real experience with this protocol. I've gone toe-to-toe with the beads more than a few times, but nested PCR is another story.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
nucacidhunter
Senior Member
 
Location: Iran

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssalgh2 View Post
Ok. I will do waht you suggested. Then I see
I am thinking about PCR cycling for the first round is 18 cycle and in the second round is25cycle so is it ok to increase the cycle in the first round to 35 cycle what do you suggest?
Many thanks
It depends on your experiment and input. It is not clear if you are preparing 16S region specific library for sequencing on Illumina systems or whole 16S for long read sequencing.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO