SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COSMIC vcf file contains "N" & "." characters in ALT column vipul jain Bioinformatics 1 09-03-2015 12:16 AM
glimmer .predict file: "from" larger than "to" on + strand shany Bioinformatics 0 05-27-2014 02:21 PM
fastq file with "." in sequence line zinky Bioinformatics 3 01-01-2013 01:34 PM
Relatively large proportion of "LOWDATA", "FAIL" of FPKM_status running cufflink ruben6um Bioinformatics 3 10-12-2011 12:39 AM
The position file formats ".clocs" and "_pos.txt"? Ist there any difference? elgor Illumina/Solexa 0 06-27-2011 07:55 AM

Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
cement_head

Exclamation How to "chop" a large FASTQ PE file in half?

Hello,

I hesitate to use the following terms: "split", "partition", "trim" - because they all have special connotations.

What I'd like to do is to take a large FASTQ file of PE reads and cut the file into two approximately equal halves. However, I want to do it in such a manner that a given file does not have only one half of a pair of a PE read group. In other words, I want to insure that when the file is halved, or split, that no PE reads are separated.

For example, if I have a file with 11 PE reads, I do NOT want 5 reads in one file and 6 reads in another.

Will FASTQ Splitter work for what I want?

- Andor
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #2
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
Hello,

For example, if I have a file with 11 PE reads, I do NOT want 5 reads in one file and 6 reads in another.

- Andor
How would you split a PE dataset otherwise? I assume your PE reads are in two separate files (R1/R2) and the split would have to split both files?
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
cement_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
How would you split a PE dataset otherwise? I assume your PE reads are in two separate files (R1/R2) and the split would have to split both files?
No, there are in ONE file, PE reads, RAW FASTQ.
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
GenoMax

So your paired-end reads are interleaved? Why not use "split -n 2" to divide the original into to two parts. If you have an odd number of fastq records then using an explicit "split -l ((n+1)/2*4)" may be better (n = number of fastq records).

Last edited by GenoMax; 08-07-2017 at 08:28 AM.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastq splitter, partition, pe reads, split