SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counting Reads in BAM file per genomic position C9r1y Bioinformatics 4 11-24-2015 02:11 PM
Counting the total number of SNPs in a transcript dena.dinesh Bioinformatics 0 08-11-2015 05:47 AM
Counting DNA tag sequences in specified regions for ChIP-seq jon123 Bioinformatics 0 06-30-2015 05:21 AM
Counting of regions within a segment DrD2009 Bioinformatics 0 01-08-2012 10:53 AM

Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
shis

Default Counting of SNPs in different genomic regions

Hi,
After annotating the SNP.vcf files using SnpEff v 4.2, I would like to count how many SNPs are found in different genomic regions such as upstream, gene, exon, intron, CDS, 5' UTR, 3' UTR, downstream and intergenic. To perform the SNPs count, I am looking for a program or perl- or python script for few days in different forums. I have annotated SNP.VCF and gene.txt file obtained from SNpEff. Can anyone help me - how can I count the number of SNPs found in different genomic regions? I would highly appreciate your help. Thanks
shis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

I've forgotten how SnpEff outputs information, but in general using 'grep -c' is a quick (but mostly manual) way.

If you want to count lots of things at once, isolate out the categories (e.g. using 'cut'), then run 'sort' and 'uniq -c'. Alternatively, import the data into R and use 'table'.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
shis

Thanks a lot Gringer. I used SnpSift Extract Fields to get the effect of SNPs in different regions. Then the number of SNPs in different regions are counted in Excel. Finally I got SNPs number in different genomic regions.
shis is offline   Reply With Quote