SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
protocol Nature- Drosophila luana Bioinformatics 0 05-04-2016 01:16 PM
CummeRbund plots come out in a different way than they are in the Nature protocol rumeys RNA Sequencing 1 07-24-2015 04:04 PM
Alternatives to Nature brief communication papori Bioinformatics 1 12-16-2014 06:04 AM
Nature Methods: A genome in time lcollado Literature Watch 1 03-02-2010 04:22 AM

Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
narain

Lightbulb Nature: Authorship Misrepresentation

Dear All

I was working in 'Genome of The Netherlands' GoNL where I served as a Bioinformatics researcher for a year. There were 2 Nature publications among many others that were published in the project, but without my name anywhere in the paper, despite the fact that my ideas and their implementation were very clearly present in the papers. I tried to write to the editors of the journals but did not get back any response. What can be done ? Does anyone have the phone call numbers to the editors whom I can communicate directly ? I am based at Washington D.C. area working as a Bioinformatics faculty.

Here are the two papers:

Hehir-Kwa, J. Y. et al. A high-quality human reference panel reveals the complexity and distribution of genomic structural variants. Nat. Commun. 7, 12989 doi: 10.1038/ncomms12989 (2016). link: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms12989

Laurent C Francioli et al. Whole-genome sequence variation, population structure and demographic history of the Dutch population. Nature Genetics 46, 818–825 (2014) doi:10.1038/ng.3021. link: http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v46...l/ng.3021.html

Narain
narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
HESmith

IIRC, your previous posts about this topic were deleted as inappropriate to the forum (and that hasn't changed).
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
narain

The posts are very much relevant to this forum as it generates awareness among the bioinformaticists about the existing malpractices in the industry. I contribute to technical threads too. Do you have suggestion what can be done when you are not acknowledged for your work in the paper for a project in which you were deeply engaged ?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
r.rosati

You might find some traction for your question on reddit.com/r/labrats , it's a pretty nice subreddit. Not everybody will agree with you, but that's just average.
r.rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
Bukowski

How's your lawsuit going?

Question is rhetorical. I've met far more people who allege malpractice of this type in the industry, than seen malpractice of this type in the industry...
Bukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
fanli

Seems to me this is something you should have taken up with your collaborators.

I would hesitate to call this malpractice, as the word has strong implications particularly in the medical field.
fanli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
narain

Unhappy

@Bukowski: Lawsuit works well much in US than in The Netherlands or UK, where the court openly admits that they will not act against the University, as they are pretty powerful. No wonder, even all emerging genuine scientists and workers want to move out of these countries, given the strange pro-employer laws. And so I would like to bring this matter up at Nature HQ USA.

@Fanli: I did tell my collaborators several times and they assured authorship as you will see in this attachment where they clearly list me at number 15 for authorship, to ensure I give them ideas and results. Alas, they took my ideas and results and published it without my name, once my contract with them was over. See the list of authors as attachment. I also have minutes of meetings with me where my contributions are clearly stated.

Does anyone has phone number of Nature Editor to reach out ?
Attached Images
File Type: png GoNLAuthorsList.PNG (44.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
fanli

Have you tried contacting a university ombudsman or someone similarly involved in research ethics? They may side with your collaborators, given that they represent the university but it may be worthwhile anyways. I don't really see a path for the journal editors to intervene.

You can also try the Academia SE site for advice.
fanli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
narain

If you know someone, then please do let me know. In my opinion they are not that powerful in their position.

N
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

I've found as a contractor that its better to be surprised/pleased when my name is added to a paper, than annoyed when it's excluded. I do enough different projects that it's not worth the effort (or reputation hit) to fight for authorship, or fighting to exclude people who only had a supervisory role.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
narain

Bioinformatics work is I am sorry to say not plain IT work as it involves being creative in solving research problems and thus I make sure that authorship aspect is discussed well before I sign the Post Doctoral contract. That is why I provided the attachment which clearly stated authors. So PostDocs should not care for authorships ?? In my knowledge all PostDocs sign for just 1 or 2 year contract and don't have a permanent position . You are encouraging established scientist to invite junior scientist on contract then let them go with all their ideas published without their name.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Sorry, I am in a very strange work situation as a freelance bioinformatician. It sounded like your arrangement was similar to my own, because you mentioned your contract being "over". The majority of my own contracts are simply me doing stuff in return for payment for the work I've done. Ideas are cheap, and there are plenty of ways to share ideas outside of getting a peer-reviewed publication.

A post-doctoral research contract is obviously different, because there is an expectation of research collaboration at the outset (and usually a known project / output).
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
narain

No worries, at least it clarified the complete case via my reply. Here are the complete details of the 2 papers I mentioned above:

Francioli LC, Cretu-Stancu M, Garimella KV, Fromer M, Kloosterman WP, Samocha KE, Neale BM, Daly MJ, Banks E, DePristo MA, de Bakker PI. A framework for the detection of de novo mutations in family-based sequencing data. Eur J Hum Genet. 2017 Feb; 25(2):227-233. PMID: 27876817.

Hehir-Kwa JY, Marschall T, Kloosterman WP, Francioli LC, Baaijens JA, Dijkstra LJ, Abdellaoui A, Koval V, Thung DT, Wardenaar R, Renkens I, Coe BP, Deelen P, de Ligt J, Lameijer EW, van Dijk F, Hormozdiari F, Uitterlinden AG, van Duijn CM, Eichler EE, de Bakker PI, Swertz MA, Wijmenga C, van Ommen GB, Slagboom PE, Boomsma DI, Schönhuth A, Ye K, Guryev V. A high-quality human reference panel reveals the complexity and distribution of genomic structural variants. Nat Commun. 2016 Oct 06; 7:12989. PMID: 27708267.

Tags
bioinformatics, cheating, genome, nature, netherlands