SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bowtie --sam option - includes non-aligned reads? ledsall Bioinformatics 3 02-24-2013 12:31 AM
From sam file, how to the mate aligned or not? fabrice Bioinformatics 2 08-09-2011 10:37 AM
Base Quality values in BAM file donniemarco Bioinformatics 2 06-22-2011 10:06 AM
Right way to convert splice-aligned Solexa reads (s_?_export.txt) to SAM format jorgebm Bioinformatics 0 09-23-2010 06:58 AM
Question on SAMtools variations calling of a BFAST-aligned SAM file? Ling Bioinformatics 4 02-02-2010 06:26 PM

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
arnkas

Default Quality values for aligned reads in .sam file

Hi,
I am mapping ABI solid reads using bwa, and then converting to a sam file and ultimately to a .pilup file using samtools. I am trying to understand the quality values in the sam file. For the unmapped reads the quality values agree with those in the fastq file, but for the mapped reads, I can see no relationship between the quality values in the .sam file and those in the .fastq file, or the mapping quality. I bring this up because I am trying to write my own snp filter, and don't know whether I can trust the reported quality values. I would appreciate any help on this.

Arnold Kas
arnkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnkas View Post
Hi,
I am mapping ABI solid reads using bwa, and then converting to a sam file and ultimately to a .pilup file using samtools. I am trying to understand the quality values in the sam file. For the unmapped reads the quality values agree with those in the fastq file, but for the mapped reads, I can see no relationship between the quality values in the .sam file and those in the .fastq file, or the mapping quality. I bring this up because I am trying to write my own snp filter, and don't know whether I can trust the reported quality values. I would appreciate any help on this.

Arnold Kas
It converts the color qualities to base qualities based on the alignment. For example, if neither color was aligned as an error (i.e. corrected), then it returns the sum of the two color qualities plus 10. MAQ and BWA were written by the same author and follow the same color space alignment code to translate the base qualities. See "csmap2ntmap.cc" in maq-0.7.1 lines 102-110 for the exact code.

Briefly, let X and Y be indicators whether or not the first and second colors encoding a base are aligned as errors. Let A and B the color qualities (log probabilities) of the two colors respectively. Then the returned base quality is:
Code:
if(1==X && 1==Y) {
  return (A + B + 10);
}
else if(1==X && 0==Y) {
  return (A - B);
}
else if(0==X && 1==Y) {
  return (B - A);
}
else {
  return 0;
}
Since A and B are log probabilities, I would interpret this as a log odds ratio.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
arnkas

Perfect. Thanks.
arnkas is offline   Reply With Quote