SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cummeRbund MDS/PCA gene list jake13 Bioinformatics 1 08-29-2013 11:39 PM
PCA vs MDS plots hchang10 Bioinformatics 0 06-23-2013 02:01 AM
More diff expressed genes than transcripts with Cuffdiff drosoform RNA Sequencing 2 01-18-2013 02:28 PM
identify different number of differential expressed genes using ensemble or reseq GTF sepulveda RNA Sequencing 0 01-07-2013 12:24 PM
cuffdiff2 fails to find diff expressed genes!!?? colinmolter Bioinformatics 0 07-13-2012 09:59 AM

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Alex234

Default PCA / MDS analysis useful if only small number of genes (e.g. 1-20) diff. expressed?

All in the title really - if a condition only resulted in a change of expression of only a small number of genes (e.g. 1-10), would you expect to see that on a PCA / MDS plot?

Thanks

Alex
Alex234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

That rather depends on the rest of the data. It's usually a waste of time to use PCA plots for anything other than finding outliers/similar QC. If your DE genes have a large fold-change and the rest of the data has low variability, then samples will probably cluster by condition on the PCA plot. Otherwise, you're unlikely to see clustering by condition. A lot of people over-interpret PCA plots simply because they don't know how they work (there's currently a discussion about this on the Bioconductor email list, in fact).
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Alex234

Thanks dpryan - when you say 'large fold-change', what sort of magnitude do you mean?

My data has a high degree of variability, I think because some of it comes from different strains, and because it is from stem cell lines, which are supposed to have a great deal of transcriptional heterogeneity.

If PCA / MDS are only relevant QC in some cases, which would you say are the QCs that are important for every experiment?

Thanks

Alex
Alex234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex234 View Post
Thanks dpryan - when you say 'large fold-change', what sort of magnitude do you mean?
There's no a priori answer to that, that's sort of the thing with PCA.

Quote:
My data has a high degree of variability, I think because some of it comes from different strains, and because it is from stem cell lines, which are supposed to have a great deal of transcriptional heterogeneity.
Yeah, strains alone will often separate things via PCA.

Quote:
If PCA / MDS are only relevant QC in some cases, which would you say are the QCs that are important for every experiment?
I also find hierarchical clustering useful, though it's generally similar to the PCA plot. In addition, the normal plots from FastQC and various plots depending on how and what kind of statistics you do downstream (e.g., an MA plot, dispersion vs. mean, etc.).
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote