SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Qubit library quantitation variations Smriti Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 11-02-2013 09:57 AM
library concentrations at various levels (RNA seq) Tefina Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 11-08-2011 09:48 AM
illumina primer/adaptor concentrations tamosan Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 10-29-2009 06:12 AM
Enrichement and Picogreen concentrations? drabe Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 12-01-2008 12:13 PM

Old 07-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
dogcatcher

Default library concentrations variations

Hi, everyone,

I made four libraries this week. But today when I ran a DNA gel, I found that the concentrations (DNA band intensity) of the four libraries have great difference. The concentration of the highest one is about 3 times of the lowest one. I am supposed to compare gene expression level changes among these four libraries. I wonder whether the library concentrations difference will affect RNA-sequencing results. For example, some reads may overpresent the library. Does anyone have similar situation?

Thanks!
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Standard RNA-seq analysis using FPKM is robust to (or, one might say, 'ignorant of') the absolute difference between sample concentrations, and only sensitive to relative differences between gene expressions. In other words, if you sequence the same sample twice - once at full concentration and once diluted by 50% - it shouldn't show any gene expression changes if you go by FPKM, other than in genes with only a very few reads mapped.

Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 07-26-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
dogcatcher

Thank you very much!
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library concentration, rna seq