No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 Roche. homopolymer error

Hi Everybody,
    I'm currently working on 454 sequencing data generated by roche. I would like to correct homopolymer errors (indels). Do you have a software to recommend me?

Thank you very much!

Error corrector for Illummina and Roche/454 able to also fix insertions and deletions

Blue is a fast, accurate short-read error-correction tool based on k-mer consensus and context. It will correct both Illumina and 454-like data, and accepts sequence data files in both FASTQ and FASTA formats. Blue is made available under the General Public License and comes with absolutely no warranty. Blue is

Below are some comments from its author from my Inbox:

<quote>
    The -hp option sets a flag that is checked when Blue is scanning along a read trying to find errors that could be corrected. There are a number of tests done at every base position, all based on depth of coverage. These tests will pick up random indel errors, but indels are so common at the end of homopolymer runs in 454 and IonTorrent data that multiple hp run lengths all look to be OK. For example, if our genome had AAAAAA then with Illumina data this is what we'd see almost all the time, with very rare indels at the end of the hp run resulting in runs of 5 or 7 As. With 454-like data, we'd probably get 5 As as frequently as 6 As so depth of coverage would say that neither of them are errors. The -hp flag looks out for the end of hp runs and forces an attempt at correction at that point. If the read wasn't in error, then no correction will be made.

In general Blue will correct Ns - if a correct replacement can be found. The only time it doesn't do this is if there are too many consecutive Ns - as the process of finding likely replacements is combinatoric and the cost goes up exponentially with the number of consecutive Ns. In these cases, the read is abandoned and passed through uncorrected.
    </quote>

I did not get to test it (yet).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses