No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qubit Quantification

Hi All,

I've been using Qubit dsDNA kits to quantify my DNA preps for about 12 months.

Recently we've had issues with low yields from our preps so to save Qubit reagents while troubleshooting we ran the samples on a Nanodrop. We do a phenol:chloroform:isoamyl alcohol extraction followed by ethanol precipitation and RNAse A step from bacterial culture.

With the Qubit quantification I was used to getting ~200ng/ul when we ran these on the Nanodrop the yields were coming back as 1ug/ul average! I know the nanodrop overestimates and contaminates fluoresce giving false readings but would this account for that greater difference?

I've checked the samples with a ssDNA kit also and that came back at around 40ng/ul and also ran the samples on 2 different Qubits to ensure it wasn't a fault with ours and they both read the same.

Some have mentioned the DNA might be supercoiled giving low Qubit readings but I have similar readings with fragmented DNA too.

Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Adam

From my experience, the nanodrop usually gives a number that is 5X-10X higher than the Qubit reading. This has been consistent even when getting samples from others. The Qubit reading, in our hands, has been more useful for loading sequencers and other activities.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
      From my experience, the nanodrop usually gives a number that is 5X-10X higher than the Qubit reading. This has been consistent even when getting samples from others. The Qubit reading, in our hands, has been more useful for loading sequencers and other activities.
      We see the same thing.
      The Nanodrop measures everything that absorbs 260nm light and assumes it's all DNA. It's a poor assumption to make as lots of things also absorb light around the 260nm wavelength (phenol, RNA, ssDNA) etc.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses