No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBMap for BitSeq

Hello,

I want use BBmap for estimating transcript expression level from RNA-seq reads. Mapped will be against transcripts, not the genome.

The Manual for BitSeq uses Bowtie with following conditions:

Code:
    bowtie -q -v 3 -3 0 -p 4 -a -m 100 --sam
    3 mismatches allowed
    no 3' trimming (and no 5' trimming) - both default
    report reads only if < 100 possible mapping positions

how should the BBmap parameters look like?

Code:
    bbmap.sh ambiguous=all maxsites2=100 ( secondary=TRUE sssr=0.95 maxsites=100 )
    is there a parameter for allowed mismatches per read?
    will "secondary=TRUE sssr=0.95 maxsites=100" be a good idea for mapping reads to the human transcriptome. sssr=0.95 means approximate how many mismatches per 75 bases reads ~ 2?

should the reads be trimmed and quality filtered before, and if yes with which parameters?

Dietmar

I imagine the main reason for specifying 3 mismatches with Bowtie is that 3 is the maximum it allows.

BBMap normally adjusts sensitivity with the mind/minratio parameter, though you can optionally set "subfilter=3" to ban alignments with more than 3 substitutions. I don't see how that would be beneficial to transcriptome mapping, though.

I would suggest:

"bbmap.sh (file parameters) ambig=all maxsites=100 maxindel=100"

...and if you really want, add "subfilter=3". For transcriptome mapping there's no reason to allow the default maxindel=16000. And there is not much need to apply any quality-trimming or filtering unless you add the "subfilter" flag and have low-quality data, though you can do that if you want with "qtrim=rl trimq=10" to trim both ends to Q10. I do, however, always recommend adapter-trimming, particularly when requiring high-identity alignments.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses