Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low input micro RNA libraries

I would like to generate small RNA/miRNA libraries from small quantities of total RNA. The Illumina TruSeq Small RNA Library Prep kit requires an input of 1ug of total RNA for input.

Has anyone tried to find the lowest input required -- while still maintaining the appropriate library complexity ? Ideally, I'd like to start with 1-50ng of total RNA.

Is there an alternate low input small RNA protocol that anyone's aware of ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Thanks,
    Michael

miRNA libraries are the most difficult libraries to make, in my opinion. We find we get better libraries starting with miRvana purified small RNA. Libraries made with total RNA get a lot of other junk in them.

Comment

I can only agree with this. smallRNA libraries are difficult to do and I do not recomment starting with totRNA.
      In my experience (but I don't know the organism you are working with), the advised 1µg of totRNA tends to be quite short, we have even increased to 10ug in certain conditions to be able to get a library.
      The best and cleaner way we found out is to start with a denaturing page size selection. It is long but at least, you know exactly what you are putting into ligation (always checking with an agilent small rna chip).

Comment

Hi
        I have extracted small RNAs and would like to sequence the miRNAs with the Illumina TruSeq kit. However, I have very low concentrations though (around 4ng). Do you have any advice/literature that could help me?

Comment

Hi,

Well, it depends a little on what you exactely intend to do on what organism.
          I have get succesfull libraries with the protocol without any modification starting with 7µL of 12000pM (so 84 nmol) sample.
          You can even use lower amounts if you include a 5' decapping step prior to any ligation. For example in my organism, the 5' tends to be tri-phoso, but with a TAP treatment, we do get significantly more material from the same starting material. It has worked with 9nmol.

I do not know if those are my lower limit.

Then you might certainly do not get a lib of 2nM or more (even with a precipitation step), you have then to adapt a bit the denaturation protocol.

But again, everything is quite organism/prep modification dependant.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

Thanks mikaelk

The miRNA were extracted from rat brain samples. We will include the 5' capping step yes and sequence it on the Illumina HiScan SQ for differential miRNA expression analysis. So you have also used the Truseq kit with your samples with low concentrations and it worked fine, right?

Comment

At NextGenSeq: what kit do you use to sequence your miRNAs?

Comment

Originally posted by smalan View Post
                Thanks mikaelk

The miRNA were extracted from rat brain samples. We will include the 5' capping step yes and sequence it on the Illumina HiScan SQ for differential miRNA expression analysis. So you have also used the Truseq kit with your samples with low concentrations and it worked fine, right?
                Yes with the amounts mentioned above.

Comment

Hey,
                  Has somebody experience with this Kit from SeqMatic:
                  SeqMatic offers miRNA & small RNA sequencing services for rare transcripts. Challenging samples incl. FFPE, plasma, low input. Extraction available. US CLIA lab

It claims to be working with as little as 10ng of total RNA.

Best,
                  Anja

Comment

Hi Anja,
                    I have tried SeqMatic's miRNA kits a few times and produced successful libraries. I have used both versions of the kit and it seems that the version 2 kit produces fewer adapter dimers and better results. I haven't tried using as little as 10ng of total RNA but I am using about 100-200 ng of total RNA from FFPE samples.
                    I am still fairly new to NGS and the people at SeqMatic have been very helpful with questions I have.

Comment

Thanks tchiang for your input =)

I think I'll give it a try with the v2 kit.
                      I also already experienced very helpful seqmatic staff answering questions!

Comment

Originally posted by mikaelk View Post
                        Hi,

Well, it depends a little on what you exactely intend to do on what organism.
                        I have get succesfull libraries with the protocol without any modification starting with 7µL of 12000pM (so 84 nmol) sample.
                        You can even use lower amounts if you include a 5' decapping step prior to any ligation. For example in my organism, the 5' tends to be tri-phoso, but with a TAP treatment, we do get significantly more material from the same starting material. It has worked with 9nmol.

I do not know if those are my lower limit.

Then you might certainly do not get a lib of 2nM or more (even with a precipitation step), you have then to adapt a bit the denaturation protocol.

But again, everything is quite organism/prep modification dependant.

Hope this helps a bit.
                        What is the protocol for 5' decapping?

What is the reason for this step?

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses