No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptor Removal with Trimmomatic

Hi there,

I ran a HiSeq2500 run and found that I had adaptor sequences still present.
    I first used Trimmomatic to simulatenously remove the adaptor sequences and trim the sequences to a good quality score.

I want to merge the reads next but because I used the Pair-ended format for trimmomatic, I end up with 4 output files: forward paired, forward unpaired, reverse paired, reverse unpaired. How do I go about merging these files? Should I discard the unpaired files and focus on the paired? Or merge the paired together and then concatenate the unpaired? Thank you!

All you need is Forward_Paired and Reverse_Paired reads. Those reads can be merged together using FLASH, a custom script (there are few here or on Biostar), or you may use Cyverse's Discovery Environment to Interleave the files together into one file.

The unpaired reads can be left alone for now, but in the future you may go back to them to reduce the number of them and so forth by playing around with the trimmomatic settings.

I hope this helps and all the best with your project.

Also check here for more tools that could help you out: https://omictools.com/ with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapages View Post
      All you need is Forward_Paired and Reverse_Paired reads. Those reads can be merged together using FLASH, a custom script (there are few here or on Biostar), or you may use Cyverse's Discovery Environment to Interleave the files together into one file.

The unpaired reads can be left alone for now, but in the future you may go back to them to reduce the number of them and so forth by playing around with the trimmomatic settings.

I hope this helps and all the best with your project.

Also check here for more tools that could help you out: https://omictools.com/ with your project.
      Thank you so much for your response! After I merge should I concatenate the unpaired files to the merged files? I'm running a BLAST to referenced bacterial genomes.
      Another question, for removal of adapter sequences did I need the reverse complement sequences of the nextrra adapter sequences that were provided?
      Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by hamcan View Post
        Thank you so much for your response! After I merge should I concatenate the unpaired files to the merged files? I'm running a BLAST to referenced bacterial genomes.
        Another question, for removal of adapter sequences did I need the reverse complement sequences of the nextrra adapter sequences that were provided?
        Thank you!
        I would leave the unpaired files alone.

It all depends on what type of analysis are you trying to conduct?

If you are working on De-novo or novel assembled genomes.

Then the foremost step would be to do a de-novo assembly or do a reference guided assembly of your raw reads into contigs.

After contigs are formed then try to annotate them through BLASTX against a specific database of your choice ie. NCBI Bacterial database, NR Database, or a reference bacterial genome in your case.

If you are doing transcriptome analysis or a de-novo transcriptome analysis

De-novo Assemble your Raw Reads. Annotate your de-novo Assembled reads via BLAST just like mentioned above, and then map them against your reference genome or database of choice (NCBI NR database or Bacterial Database).

If its not a de-novo transcriptome analysis then just map them against your reference genome with the proper GTF/GFF3 files and settings.

Hope these strategies help.
        Last edited by Zapages; 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
        0 responses