SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: Exome sequencing: a transformative technology. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-24-2011 05:21 AM
Confirmation sequencing technology gendxdoc General 7 08-05-2011 05:18 AM
PubMed: The next-generation sequencing technology and application. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-01-2011 11:20 AM
Amplicon sequencing using Titanium technology sacha 454 Pyrosequencing 2 04-23-2009 05:08 AM
If you could use next-gen sequencing technology to answer any question.... ECO General 2 06-18-2008 10:21 PM

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
dan
wiki wiki

Default Sequencing technology database?

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a database of sequencing technologies, companies, instruments (platforms), and capabilities (i.e. run-types), not necessarily limited to NGS, but starting there initially.

An example data-point could be:
* Pyrosequencing
** Roche
*** GS-FLX
**** PE

Before we get bogged down adding data to the database, I'd like to discuss what types of data you think should be collected? i.e. what fields to include in the database?

Some ideas include: machine cost, reads per run, read length (statistics), run time, errors (error types and statistics), ...

This will be a database in the wiki, so once we've settled on a data-model, everyone can contribute to the data, allowing the community to more easily compare platforms and keep track of trends and updates.

I'm thinking simple is best, but please let me know what you think should be included in such a database :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
marcowanger

Hi Dan,

You make me think of this http://www.molecularecologist.com/ne...eldguide-2012/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to build a database of sequencing technologies, companies, instruments (platforms), and capabilities (i.e. run-types), not necessarily limited to NGS, but starting there initially.

An example data-point could be:
* Pyrosequencing
** Roche
*** GS-FLX
**** PE

Before we get bogged down adding data to the database, I'd like to discuss what types of data you think should be collected? i.e. what fields to include in the database?

Some ideas include: machine cost, reads per run, read length (statistics), run time, errors (error types and statistics), ...

This will be a database in the wiki, so once we've settled on a data-model, everyone can contribute to the data, allowing the community to more easily compare platforms and keep track of trends and updates.

I'm thinking simple is best, but please let me know what you think should be included in such a database :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
marcowanger

Another thought is,

machine and reagent costs vary from country to country. I think it depends who you are (big institution or small, etc). And throughput depends on how much you can squeeze out..

Put it another way around, I do think it may uncover these hidden marketing strategies, reflect the true costs..

Last edited by marcowanger; 01-29-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: remove the quote
marcowanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
dan
wiki wiki

Oooh! Nice! What license is that data :-D
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowanger View Post
Another thought is,

machine and reagent costs vary from country to country. I think it depends who you are (big institution or small, etc). And throughput depends on how much you can squeeze out..

Put it another way around, I do think it may uncover these hidden marketing strategies, reflect the true costs..
One way round this would be to allow people to submit estimates. Then we could provide upper and lower bounds, median etc... However, the idea of the wiki is to let that kind of consensus emerge through discussion... Not sure what's best here... I guess we could just have one value, and if people complain bitterly, provide for multiple values to be added?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
marcowanger

i think multiple values may be better. If only 1 single value is allowed, it might becomes a reference price list by manufacturer (IMHO, is useless and miss the point of community oriented).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
krobison

I think a key bit for such a database is to timestamp all the entries on price, performance, etc. That way you could pull out trends.

The mix-and-match nature of the technologies can make life more complicated and may be fun modeling. For example, with PacBio there are separate loading and running chemistries, and right now there are two choices for each (sadly, with the same names in each one) -- C3 and XL. So you can load C3 and run XL (but I think nobody does; puts each in its weak spot), load XL and run C3 (longer reads at higher quality), load XL and run XL (longest reads but quality drop) or load C3 run C3 (if you don't have any XL kits).
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobison View Post
I think a key bit for such a database is to timestamp all the entries on price, performance, etc. That way you could pull out trends.

The mix-and-match nature of the technologies can make life more complicated and may be fun modeling. For example, with PacBio there are separate loading and running chemistries, and right now there are two choices for each (sadly, with the same names in each one) -- C3 and XL. So you can load C3 and run XL (but I think nobody does; puts each in its weak spot), load XL and run C3 (longer reads at higher quality), load XL and run XL (longest reads but quality drop) or load C3 run C3 (if you don't have any XL kits).
Cry...

So ... I guess... I'd call each one of these combinations a different 'capability' of the one machine?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
marcowanger

Quote:
Cry...

So ... I guess... I'd call each one of these combinations a different 'capability' of the one machine?
I think that is why we need a database for this ..
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
dan
wiki wiki

Any more thoughts on fields to collect? Based on the link from Marco, I currently have this list of fields:
* Instrument
* Run time
* Millions of Reads/run
* Bases / read
* Yield (MB/run)

What about costs? Cost per run, cost per box? Cost of sample prep? Kits?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
marcowanger

Quote:
Any more thoughts on fields to collect? Based on the link from Marco, I currently have this list of fields:
* Instrument
* Run time
* Millions of Reads/run
* Bases / read
* Yield (MB/run)

What about costs? Cost per run, cost per box? Cost of sample prep? Kits?
I think all make sense.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
dan
wiki wiki

Thing is, I don't want to implement a LIMS (I don't mind doing it, but I don't have time to do it!)

Tags
database, technology, wiki