SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variation in RPKM values of different biological replicates produced by Cufflinks thanhhoang RNA Sequencing 1 02-12-2014 05:30 AM
edgeR: very low p-value and very high variance within the group of replicates. What's valei Bioinformatics 1 06-23-2013 11:49 PM
Differential expression from RNA-seq: variation between replicates beans RNA Sequencing 6 11-03-2011 09:45 AM
Replicate variation at high coverage thinkRNA Bioinformatics 0 07-19-2010 01:20 PM
PubMed: High-throughput sequencing provides insights into genome variation and evolut Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-22-2008 05:06 AM

Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
reuscher

Question High variation between replicates

Hi All,

We have recently started a new transcriptomics experiment, where we analyzed five different plant tissues from the same organ on a HiSEQ machine. We used 4 individual plants to make 4 replicates, resulting in 4 x 5 = 20 samples. Denovo assembly was performed using Trinity. Now, RNA quality was ok, and also the inline controls and the number of (mapped) read suggest the run was ok.

The problem is exactly as the title states: high variabilty between replicates. Both, a cluster analysis and PCA suggest that there are not really "groups" of samples, neither replicates nor tissues cluster together. Maybe PC1 is associated with replicate and maybe PC2 is sligthly associated with tissues.

My questions are: What can i do to assess the problem ? Anyone had this before and could hint at a possible cause ?

On an unrelated issue: How can I handle the counts of different variants that are reported by Trinity ? Process them separetely, add them or means ?

Best Regards

Stefan
reuscher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biological variation, hiseq, plant science, transcriptome