No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS bonds and polymerase

Hi folks

I am planning to use illumina primers RP1 and RPI1 with phosphorothioate bonds between the last base and the penultimate base at the 3' end. So my eventual PCR library will contain two phoshorothioate bonds, one on each strand.

Can polymerase read through such products during cluster formation or regular PCR?

Thanks in advance.

BB

Likely PS bonds would block polymerase, but in case of 3'-PS adaptor ends these are out of action as polymerase starts extension at 3'-ends of anchored primers that are not blocked. I have some intermediate adaptors with 4 PS bonds at their 3'-ends, which work in PCR as templates just fine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, yaximik!

I called on Illumina techsupport on this question. They say there should not be any problem for PCR products with PS bonds to form clusters. Although they did not give me a direct answer, I suspect their small RNA library kit which uses these primers have PS bonds. Therefore the small RNA library may have PS bonds within the final library PCR products.

Comment

Just to make sure we are on the same page. I doubt oligos like 5'-NNNNN*N*N*N-3' can be extended or ligated, so unlikely library contains fragments with internal PS bonds. I could not find any references on that, if someone knows examples please share. Whether internal PS bonds can interfere with polymerase I do not know as I could not find any references either. Oligos with PS bonds at 3'-ends are often used as adaptors producing fragments with terminal PS bonds:

5'-N N N NNN-insert-NNNN*N*N*N-3'
        3'-N*N*N*NNN-insert-NNNN N N N-5'

These will not interfere with cluster formation and any PCR amplification with primers that do not have PS at their 3'-ends as terminal PS bonds in library fragments are out of the action locus:

5'-NNNNNNNNNprimerNNNNNNN-3' -----> extension
        3'-N*N*N*NNNNNNNNNNNNinsertNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.....-5'

Comment

Here is the expected pattern of the ds product (*=PS bonds) in the library:

5'Flowcellbinding-----------*N-Insert----------Flowcellbinding3'
          3'Flowcellbinding--------------Insert-N*-------Flowcellbinding5'

To form a cluster, polymerase on the flow-cell has to go through the PS bonds. So my Q was whether this is possible?

Comment

Well, it appears I had incorrect assumption. According to this site
            http://https://wikis.utexas.edu/disp...+-+all+flavors
            454 adaptors have PS bonds on each side. If this is correct these can be ligated. form internal PS bonds and therefore polymerase can get over such bonds in subsequent emPCR aamplifications. Although I could not find confirming references in PubMed, I presume that if Illumina library is created in the same way, then you should not have problems.

Comment

Hmm.. So this corroborates the point made by Illumina techsupport. Thanks yaximik.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses