No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genes of interest from SAM/BAM files

Hi,
    I am trying to compare paired-end Illumina data with standard MLST approaches for genotyping bacteria. What is the best way to extract known marker genes (using coordinates from a reference) from SAM/BAM files created by mapping samples to this reference?

Ultimately, I just want to compare the genotyping capacity of this shotgun data with traditional, MLST methods and ensure that we are getting good coverage of the MLST markers of choice. I would like to generate consensus sequences from short read data of the makers of interest and am unsure the best way to do this.

Thank you!

I am not sure what you want to do, but look at bedtools. it may help you.

Comment

1. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39766

Assuming that you are referring to extracting reads that map to certain marker genes: samtools view should allow you to pull out reads from specified gene regions.

2. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38969

Samtools mpileup should generate the consensus sequence.

Comment

Thank you for your help!

Comment

I am trying to generate a consensus sequence using the following command:

samtools mpileup -uf B31.fna Sample_Bbcap10_006_004_MLST.bam | bcftools view -cg - | /home/bioinfo/software/samtools/samtools-0.1.19/bcftools/vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cns.fq

and struggling with the error:

Use of uninitialized value in length at /home/bioinfo/software/samtools/samtools-0.1.19/bcftools/vcfutils.pl line 544, <> line 57.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm just beginning with SAMtools and really appreciate the support.

Comment

Have you indexed your reference genome file (B31.fna) with samtools faidx? That is a fasta format file correct?

Code:
            $ samtools faidx B31.fna
            Last edited by GenoMax; 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is a fasta and I did index with samtools faidx.

Comment

looks to me the error occurs at last step. does "vcfutils.pl" takes stdin?

Comment

@ksw9: This may be an obvious question but was the reference file used for generation of the indexes and the alignments to generate the BAM's? Based on the name it looks like that may be a 454 sequence file. What aligner did you use?

Comment

I used BWA for mapping paired-end Illumina reads to the reference genome.

Comment

Okay, I think my problem was in my original .bed file which now has contigs appropriately labeled.

I guess my question is this: if I have extracted reads mapping only to loci of interest using:
                      samtools view -h -L MLST.bed Sample_006_004.bam > Sample_006_004_MLST.sam

then should I create a new reference sequence including only the loci of interest in order to generate the consensus sequence only for the loci of interest (and not generate the consensus for the entire genome)?

Thank you for all of your help!

Comment

Originally posted by ksw9 View Post
                        Okay, I think my problem was in my original .bed file which now has contigs appropriately labeled.

I guess my question is this: if I have extracted reads mapping only to loci of interest using:
                        samtools view -h -L MLST.bed Sample_006_004.bam > Sample_006_004_MLST.sam

then should I create a new reference sequence including only the loci of interest in order to generate the consensus sequence only for the loci of interest (and not generate the consensus for the entire genome)?

Thank you for all of your help!
                        Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses