No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDBA-UD assembler

Hi All

Has anyone given the idba-ud assembler a try? My first go at it produced a bacterial genome assembly quite inferior to what I had achieved with Velvetoptimiser, but proper parameterization of idba is not exactly clear to me. What has your experience been?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am about to try it now with some mixed (by mistake) metagenome and metatranscriptome data. I found the algorithm very appealing for this purpose, since the main problem will be extremely variable coverage. I will let you know how it turns out.

Did you try it for metagenome data? I don't think there is much point in using for a normal single genome assembly..

Comment

lanzen,

How did it go? I'm currently trying to use idba-ud to do a metagenomic assembly of a goat gut. Do you know if there is a way to limit the memory usage? We run all our analysis using a cluster, and my job got killed because it went over the requested memory.

Comment

For me it worked quite fine, but most contigs were short, so it is unclear to me what was the (contaminating) metagenomic data that I tried to remove or what was from shorter transcripts. This may not be the fault of the assembly algorithm though. I will try a more normal dataset and let you know.

Otherwise, it did not use that much memory or calculation time. A 32Gb machine seemed with 8 cores was enough and the job finished in 30 min.

Let me know if there is something else I can do to help you.

Comment

I allocated 30 cores and 300 GB and it ran for around 7 hours before being stopped. I have a feeling the sample was really over sequenced. Right now I looking into doing some preprocessing to clean up the reads a little. Hopefully that will help limit the resource usage. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

sorry to revive an old thread. I did two idba runs, one using only one fasta file, the other using two files (two separate illumina runs for the same sample).

In the first idba run, the file contig.fa had no read counts, while they were present in the scaffold.fa.
            At the second attempt (using two fasta files), it was the opposite!

Any idea what's happening?
            Max

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses