Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-running denatured libraries on MiSeq

Two of my libraries failed on HiSeq, due to focussing error of the instrument. The cluster densities were approx. 800-900 K/mm2 but %PF was low (50-60%). Just to be sure that my libraries are not bad, I want to run them on MiSeq.

I do not have any fresh library remaining with me. Can I use the denatured 20PM ones that I stored after setting the HiSeq run?

Has anyone tried something like this? It's been 10 days since the library has been diluted and they were stored at -20C.

The word that I've gotten from Illumina is to redenature even if the run fails within the first few hours. So I've never tried using old denatured library (I don't even keep the 20pm library)
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

In theory, I think you might be okay to use the 20pM denatured libraries? 20pM PhiX is good for something like three weeks, but I'd add a caveat about not assuming they'll just behave the same. Like thermophile, I usually go back to my 4nM and repeat the denaturation step just in case that's part of the reason for a run failure.

Based on the information you provided, like the cluster density and the fact that the run failed due to a focusing error, I'd be a bit more confident that re-running the libraries should yield good results, but there's still a degree of risk involved with going back to the denatured libraries. I'd be interested to know how your libraries perform if you do end up re-running them since I don't think there's a lot of information about the stability of 20pM libraries.

Comment

Jessica_L: Yes that's exactly why I am hoping it should work. Previously whenever I had to re-run, I always repeated the denaturation step. Just that this time, my library concentrations were too low to repeat that step. I hope our sequencing facility doesn't create any issue regarding it. I will update if it works out. Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by Jessica_L View Post
        In theory, I think you might be okay to use the 20pM denatured libraries? 20pM PhiX is good for something like three weeks, but I'd add a caveat about not assuming they'll just behave the same. Like thermophile, I usually go back to my 4nM and repeat the denaturation step just in case that's part of the reason for a run failure.

Based on the information you provided, like the cluster density and the fact that the run failed due to a focusing error, I'd be a bit more confident that re-running the libraries should yield good results, but there's still a degree of risk involved with going back to the denatured libraries. I'd be interested to know how your libraries perform if you do end up re-running them since I don't think there's a lot of information about the stability of 20pM libraries.

Comment

Thanks Thermophile.. If I end up running them, it'll be my first time too. Never tried re-running denatured ones before. I wouldn't have considered it, if I had enough fresh library remaining. Just hoping it works out.

Originally posted by thermophile View Post
          The word that I've gotten from Illumina is to redenature even if the run fails within the first few hours. So I've never tried using old denatured library (I don't even keep the 20pm library)

Comment

Please post how it turns out.
            Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Just to update @Thermophile and @Jessica_L: re-running the denatured library was a bad idea. The run failed.
              So...I will prepare the library again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses