No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging PE reads taking into account minimum positional quality score

hello everyone,
    I face an unusual issue with merging Illumina Paired-end reads and controling for the merging using individual base quality:
    using your preferred merge (let us say Pear, FLash...) you can of course control for the effect of quality score difference between R1 and R2 for a given position and decide wether the difference is large enough to make the base with highest value the one you keep. Ok, works fine in most cases. Here I have a different situation where I would like to do that + if one of the two scores for a given position is < threshold (let us say 20 for example) then the other strand is kept, whatever the difference in score AS LONG as its own score > 20. And that I could not find it from any PE reads merger yet !
    Any (verified) idea anyone?

just to avoid out of topic comments, &- yes, I alreadyy though of softmasking low quality bases before merging but I could not find any merger that uses this information also. 2- No, I cannot just remove the reads with low quality bases before merging as I cannot use a strategy based on the % of low quality reads or sliding windows as I really want to use the individual position quality profile for rare variants calling. 3- yes, using illumina correction algorithms like dada2 is an option I will also explore but I would prefer exploring the solution I detail during merging first.
    Thanks all !

You can do custom trimming (based on different profile of errors between R1&R2 (to take into account the higher chance of presence of the erroneous/random data in the end of the R2 read)).

One can use perl for prototyping a read trimmer (or modify any of the open source ones (if you have a bit of C/C++ knowledge).

May I ask you a couple questions:

1. What readlength and platform had you used for you sequencing data aquisition?
    Was it 4chanell or 2 chanell imaging? 2 chanell one has 2x-10x higher the error rate and is limited to 150bp read length, so use a 4 chanell platform.

2. What was your cluster density? If you use MiSeq or a Hiseq 2500 - I would undercluster to get lower error rate if looking for rare things - lower cluster density lowers error rate by 3X-6X, (while also lowering raw data yields).

3. Did you use the PCRFree library prep protocol? What was your average insert size and size distribution?
    Last edited by Markiyan; 06-21-2018, 12:56 AM. Reason: Typo fix.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses