Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PyCRAC: User-friendly Python tools for the analyses of CLIP/CRAC datasets

The development of pyCRAC was driven by a requirement for (1) flexible, (2) user-friendly and (3) coherent set of tools tailored to more specifically handle CRAC/CLIP data. The pyCRAC package integrates the vast majority of basic CRAC/CLIP data processing tools we use routinely in a single easily transferrable software package. To make the tools easily adaptable, pyCRAC was written entirely in Python. As such, many of the pyCRAC tools can be used as a foundation for the rapid development of new scripts. Finally, to make the CLIP/CRAC techniques more generally accessible, we have tried to make pyCRAC as intuitive and user-friendly as possible so that researchers with little experience in bioinformatics will be able to basic analysis on their CLIP/CRAC datasets. The pyCRAC tools were designed to run as command line utilities on Unix and Linux based operating systems. Each tool comes with detailed help menus explaining how the various options work. We have also written a very detailed pyCRAC documentation that includes numerous command line examples and a large number of illustrations to describe the functionality of the pyCRAC tools. To provide the functionality of pyCRAC in a user-friendlier web interface, we have also made the tools compatible with Galaxy.

PyCRAC can handle multiplexed raw Solexa data and process Novoalign and SAM/BAN single-end and paired-end CLIP/CRAC data.

CRAC/CLIP cDNA library preparation protocols generate directional cDNA libraries. PyCRAC can also be used to analyse RNA-seq datasets, provided these contain strand information (!!!).

A major advantage of pyCRAC is that all programs share the same read filtering options, including removal of repetitive reads and reads with multiple alignment locations and flattening of the data by performing hit cluster analyses. Using GTF annotation files, pyCRAC programs can count overlap between reads/ read clusters and coding or genomic sequences of genes/alternative transcripts, overlap with intron, exons and UTRs, generate genome browser compatible output files, generate pileups and multiple sequence alignments and, finally, extract RNA binding motifs.

I am in the process of writing a manuscript on pyCRAC and I am looking for people who are willing to test the package. Minimal requirements to run pyCRAC:

Python 2.6
    Unix/Linux/OSX system
    at least 4 GB ram (microorganisms), >=8 human/mouse genome
    a GTF annotation file and matching genomic sequence for your organism of interest (from UCSC or ENSEMBL).

If you are interested in testing pyCRAC. Please drop me an e-mail:
    [email protected]

Interested to use your python script NovoPackage

Hi,

I am interested to use your NovoPackage. I am working with mouse. I need to analyse RNAseq. I am doing my postdoc at the CHU Sainte Justine Hospital, Montreal, Canada. My email address is: [email protected].

Thank you.

Comment

Hi
      I would like to try your software for mouse RIP-seq data. I am interested with finding peaks enriched in IP compared with Input. Is it possible with PyCRAC?
      My mail [email protected]
      Thanks
      Mali

Comment

Hi,

I sent the mail for requesting the tool.

Many thanks!

Yi
        Last edited by hajime; 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM. Reason: remove my personal information
        Yi John Huang (PhD student)
        886-3-2118800 ext. 3731
        Graduate Institute of Biomedical Science, Chang Gung University

Comment

Hi,

I am working on human CLIP-seq. Could you please email me the tool?

Thank you so much for your help.

Email address: [email protected]

Comment

pyCRAC version 1.1 now publicly available

Hi,

The pyCRAC package for CLIP/CRAC data analysis is now publicly available at:

bitbucket.org/sgrann/pycrac

The package is described in Webb et al, Genome Biology January 2014.

The package can be used to tackle many types of sequencing data, but is not meant for analyzing very large (>40GB) RNAseq datasets.

If you find a bug, please post a message on the issue tracker of my bitbucket sites. Feature requests are also appreciated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
            0 responses