Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifescope -- license manager

We recently received a C1 (concurrent) license for LifeScope. "Free" for a year because we have a 5500. What follows are my comments concerning the licensing part of LifeScope.

First I should state up-front that I generally hate licensing schemes. They always seem to have limitations and cause a bunch of implementation headaches. After spending the better part of a couple days with it, LifeScope's licensing (provide by a company called Flexera) just made my dislike of licensing even stronger. I point out that LifeTech's support people (Aditya and Darryl) have been very nice to work with.

1) There are two parts to LifeScope's servers -- the licensing manager and the lifescope manager. These can be run on different machines however in order to do so you must rip down any firewall between the two machines. The licensing manager uses port 27000 plus another random port (I have seen ports in the 46550 to 60704 range). My sysadmin is irritated about this state of affairs. :-(

2) How the licensing actually works was not very clear to me. It turns out that the license is only used while a person is actually in the lscope shell or GUI. A project/analysis can stay queued up or be actively running without needing a license. You need a license to do the initial queuing (since you will need to run the shell, run commands to set up the project/analysis, and then exit the shell) and to view the status of an analysis (once again the shell needs to be run momentarily). However it is, in theory, possible to have many people using a 5-user license if they are polite and do not stay logged into the shell. In practice I will have to see how well this works.

3) As an administrator, one very irritating feature is that the license manager does not show me who is using the license. All it shows is the number of licenses in use plus the installation username (not the actual person using the license), lifescope node, and port. The latter are not very useful in determining whom to call up in order to get a license released.

4) It seems like, although I can not re-create this problem consistently, that if a crash occurs when someone is logged in using the license then the license does not get released.

5) While there a ways around this, lscope allows and just as important the documentation consistently emphasizes putting your password on the command line. E.g., the docs say over and over:

# log into the shell
    lscope.sh shell -u username -w password

Perhaps obviously when doing the above the password will be exposed to anyone on the system. The installation verification scripts also expose the password (a bug report is into LifeTech about this; I was not the first one burnt!)

6) One of the ways to avoid having the password on the command line is to create a file with a MD5 hash of the password. Unfortunately this file either needs to be in each project's directory or explicitly specified on the command line. Ditto for the user name -- it needs to be explicitly specified on the command line. In my mind a 'home dot' file (ala, ssh or vnc or any of the other numerous programs written through the last 40 years) that is picked up automatically would be a better method to do username/password (with overrides on the command line, of course).

Overall #1 is a bug, #2 could be made more clear in the EULA, #3 is a bug that might be overcome by user-training, #4 needs more testing, #5 is user-training plus a suggested edit of the docs, #6 is a feature request that would alleviate #5.

licenses are licenses...
    how is the analysis?

Comment

Well, no report on the analysis is possible until the license problems are worked out. Also typically a new major revision of the SOLiD analysis tool set can take weeks to get up and running. So it may be a while before you get a report from Purdue...

--
      Phillip

Comment

Did you have to install yourself on a cluster, or did they do it for you ? We've just received an external hard disk so far ....

Comment

I installed LifeScope on our cluster. It wasn't too hard but then I've also gone through various Bioscope installs. LifeTech would have helped but, due to university policies on the cluster I am using, I can not give them an account on the cluster and "lending" them my account is a big security no-no.

The external hard disk is just data and not the software. Very boring. You get the software itself from the lifetech web site.

Comment

hi there,

we are dealing with LS licensing too... what queuing system do you use on the cluster? any ideas on good way to keep track which user submits the jobs?

we as well went through the idea that users should not block licenses by login-off, but in practice that might be the most challenging thing to solve...

Comment

We use PBSPro_10.4.6.111893. No good idea on how to keep track of which user submits a job. Since there are only two of us submitting jobs at the moment (and actually we haven't used Lifescope for a couple of months while the machine gets upgraded), I have not worried about the limitations of the license manager. Although I may start complaining bitterly in a couple of months.

Comment

Change node for licensing server?

You wouldn't happen to know if it is possible to change which computer the license server is running on? I remember we had to enter the MAC address when installing it, but we might have to change node it runs on. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Mvh
                Martin

Comment

It has been a while since I set up the license manager but, as I recall, when I changed servers (due to testing), I had to have ABI reset something on their end. So it is possible.

Comment

Oh, nice, thank you very much!

Comment

I started using LifeScope here...I inherited it from someone else. Its running....pretty well...I despise the GUI interface...its slow. I prefer the shell...easy to put re-usable scripts together.

One consistent problem...I get a heartbeat timeout error every once in a while. We usually have multiple libraries distributed across multiple lanes. I end up having to analyze 1-5 libraries at a time. The logs shows a JVM crash, but I'm not sure why this happens in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by golharam View Post
                        One consistent problem...I get a heartbeat timeout error every once in a while. We usually have multiple libraries distributed across multiple lanes. I end up having to analyze 1-5 libraries at a time. The logs shows a JVM crash, but I'm not sure why this happens in the first place.
                        I had the same problem.

According to the LifeTech's support, the heartbeat timeout limit is set in the file "/share/apps/lifescope/etc/analysis/system.properties". Find a line, "max.missed.job.heart.beats.before.quit=180". Now, I am using 360 instead of 180. It is better to copy the file in another name before changing.

So far, new setting seems to work well. Hopefully, this will help you.

Comment

Hej guys,

The problem with JVM crash is that you ran out of memory on one of the nodes. So one part of distributed jobs is getting lost and the job manager can't hear it's heartbeat... Sad story...

Anyhow, increasing heart beat time most likely will not solve this issue. The memory problems happens when you run several lanes or flows in one analysis.

On the other hand there are cases when longer heartbeat is helping. We have it at 1800.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses