Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total small rna quantity and comparison of small rna-seq with long rna-seq

Hello, I was thinking about this for some time decided to get some opinions about this. Would be great to hear what people think about this.

There are several papers that compare the gene expression quantifications for small-rnas and mRNAs, e.g., correlate the micro rna expressions with mrna expressions over a set of samples to analyze and identify mirna targets. I think the idea is fine, but one has to be careful with the type of quantifications being correlated: The mirna expressions are usually computed from small rna-seq experiments in terms of rpms and mrna expressions are from polya+ rna-seq experiments. When the rpkms are computed, the normalizations (per million reads) are done on different ensemble of sequences. For example if the total small rna levels (e.g., tRNAs) goes up for a sample although the total # of mirna molecules stays constant, the mirna rpms will go down but this will not affect the mrna rpkms. In other words, rpm/rpkm is not a direct measure of the actual quantity of rnas in a cell. Therefore, the correlations will be affected. I hope it is clear what I am trying to explain. If we assume that the total absolute amount of small rna and mrna quantities (i.e., total # of molecules) dont change significantly, I think it is ok to correlate the quantities. Because in this case, if im not mistaken, then rpm (rpkm) is proportional to the actual levels of mirnas (mrnas).

My question is, does it make sense to correlate those two quantities? Do you think I am missing something? Can we assume that the total amount of small rna quantity stays constant from sample to sample? Thanks!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
    Yesterday, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses