Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pileup / extract information from BAM/SAM files

I am aiming to extract the full information at each site: read depth, # ref reads, # variant reads (for all non-reference alleles), strand information, etc. An old thread started by nilmot13 suggested "genomeCoverageBed", but the output seems to contain only simple read depth.

My problem started from an observation that SAMtools and GATK generate very different REF/ALT read depth at some site from the same BAM file, while BAMview and IGV both tend to support GATK counts at the site.

Hi,
    looking for an answer to the same question I came across your post... Did you ever find an answer to this question? The discrepancies I see between IGV and samtools mpileup are huge in my data, which is RNAseq data...

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry I did not find a good solution.
      But my study showed that SAMtools tend to keep longer tails for indels than GATK and others. For example, SAMtools gives TAAAA:TAAA (REF:ALT), while GATK gives TA:T.

Comment

Thanks for responding. I finally found a solution to this, so I'll post it here in case is useful for others.

I found out that samtools filters reads before including them in the pileup; it reads the flag field in the bam file and discards reads that
        a) are not paired
        b) not properly mapped
        c) mate is not mapped
        d) alignment is not primary
        e) reads fail quality control of vendor
        f) is marked as PCR duplicates.

If the filters (a) and (c) are not desired, you can use the parameter -A.
        In addition, samtools performs realignment unless the parameter -B is used, and discards low quality reads unless -Q0 is used. Finally, it stops at a certain number of reads unless the -d parameter is invoqued.

I really needed a good quantification of the reads at each position, so I needed to make sure I could trust the pileup (or vcf) files generated by samtools. So I wrote a small script that parses the bam file, reading the flag field, and removes specific reads from the alignment. In this way, I was finally able to produce an alignment that gave me the exact same counts with IGV and samtools pileup.

It would be really great if all these little details were more clear in the documentation, but in the end, the filtering criteria used by samtools was adequate for my needs. Except for the "anomalous read pairs" parameter (-A), which not very appropriate for RNA-seq data.

Hope that helps somebody!

Comment

Hi clk, where did you find the information? Did you analyze the source code for samtools mpileup? Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses