Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing libraries with different insert lengths in a lane

For sequencing on illumina HiSeq, I am now making DNA libraries with different insert lengths (original lengths of just sheared DNA fragments peaked at 300, 450, and 600).

In sequencing, do you recommend not to mix two or three of them (with different insert lengths) in a single lane? Will there be any unfavorable effect caused by the different insert lengths in a lane? Maybe libraries with shorter inserts are more frequently sequenced?

In general you get smaller clusters and stronger signals from shorter libraries so you might get some bias towards the shorter libraries in your lane. I don't think you're likely to see any bias other than coverage, and if it was my experiment I'd probably be willing to risk it to see what I got.

Comment

Thanks, simonandrews.

I see. Then, the next question is about PhiX which I believe has shorter inserts. With libraries with longer inserts, does it make sense to include a smaller proportion of PhiX than usual (=than that in other runs including libraries with similar lengths of inserts).

Comment

We are sequencing libraries with mixed fragment lengths for years now. Works fine in our hands. Images are looking more messy, but read quality is ok. Our fragments vary between 200-700 nts in single libraries. We spike 1% Phi-X and sequence on the HiSeq.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

HeinKey is correct.

Fluidigm has a HighThroughput amplicon application for Illumina that gives you just this (amplicons of varying length) and it works just fine for us...worked on 454 also.

That being said, we haven't designed/sequenced amplicons over ~800bp and keep them over ~300bp so we don't lose too many (ampure size-selects so smaller amplicons are lost in higher proportions) during bead cleanup.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses