No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trimming phylogenetic tree

Hello,

I have a question regarding trimming a phylogenetic tree. In particular, I would like to delete a list of terminal nodes from the tree, but still preserve the internal nodes of their last common ancestor. For example, if I have a tree like this:

|
    | |
    --|
    |
    | |
    |

(sorry that the tree is poorly drawn, but in this tree, 3 is the LCA of 1 and 2, and 4 is the LCA of 5 and 6)

I would like to trim both 1 and 2, but to preserve 3, in which case the tree will to become:

|
    |
    --|
    |
    | |
    |

I know there is a function in bio:treeio called remove_Nodes, however it would remove both terminal nodes and internal nodes (in this case, all the nodes 1, 2 and 3 will be removed) from the tree, which is not what I want.

I wonder if anyone knows how to do this. Thanks!

Zhang
    Last edited by mario1988; 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM. Reason: format error

The only software you need to do this is a simple text editor. Just save the tree as a Newick tree format file. Newick files are text files, so then just edit the series of nested parenthesis that describes the dendogram structure, save it and open it in any one of the many free tree drawing tools.

If you've never heard of the Newick file format then just take a look at:

P.S. if branch lengths are important in your analyses, you should re-optimize them after editing the treefile as removing those two terminal nodes will alter relative branch lengths.
    Last edited by mbblack; 04-14-2014, 05:13 AM.
    Michael Black, Ph.D.
    ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

mbblack, thanks for your reply! I can easily manually edit the newick file for one tree. However I have 100 trees like this, so individually editing each one instead of writing a script might be hard..

thanks anyway!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses