Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior and Flx compatibility

Has anyone used Junior to sequence library made using GS FLX Titanium emPCR L kit? We tried doing so as our FLX sequencer is down but found only very few reads passed filter (even for control beads). So I am guessing there is some compatibility issue?

any thoughts please?

thanks!

AFAIK the chemistries should be completely compatible. What type of library was it and what filters did the reads not pass?

Comment

Thanks RCJK.

It is a shotgun ligated library.

here is what I got in the QualityFilterMetrics for the bad run (note control beads failed just as badly):

key CATG GACT
      NumKeyPassed 261 248226
      NumDotFailed 6 30740
      NumMixedFailed 68 111699
      NumTrimmedTooShortQuality 109 102992
      NumTrimmedTooShortPrimer 0 437
      TotalPassedFilter 78 2357

I re-ran emPCR using the Junior emPCR Titanium kit and got much improved result. Here is what the QualityFilterMetrics file looks:

key ATGC CATG GACT
      NumKeyPassed 4054 2732 134569
      NumDotFailed 1 4 2157
      NumMixedFailed 59 26 10656
      NumTrimmedTooShortQuality 27 265 18689
      NumTrimmedTooShortPrimer 0 0 301
      TotalPassedFilter 3867 2437 102746

Any clue what went wrong? Thanks!
      Last edited by ngseq; 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Hmm...I'm not too sure. For the bad run there also looks to be a high level of mixed reads that were rejected. This can be due to a few things: the library not being denatured prior to addition to the emPCR, too high a cpb leading to too high an enrichment, broken emulsions. Perhaps any or all of those occurred and maybe this also would affect the number filtered for short quality? That one I'm not very sure of but maybe someone else has some thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by RCJK View Post
          [...] too high a cpb leading to too high an enrichment, [...]
          Is it well known that if your cpb is really high (like >10x) you can end up getting enrichment percentages that look acceptable?

In such cases, I think the numbers of positive beads overwhelm the system. Positive beads get lost because there are not enough enrichment beads to immobilize them all.

There are clues during enrichment that something is badly wrong. But if you ignore the odd behavior and look only at the final %enrichment you can be led astray.

I ask because we have run into this on both the SOLiD and the GS-FLX. But, best I can remember, I have never heard any warnings from Applied Biosystems or Roche about this possibility.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses