No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library compatibility

Hi everyone!

does anybody now if a library constructed for Ion Torrent could be sequence in a 454 equipment directly? or if any additional step should be done?

have you used sometime IonTorrent for the quality control of a 454 library? similarly to the QC application of the Miseq for Hiseq.....

Thanks!!

No, each vendor has unfortunately chosen different adapter sequences.

If you amplified an Ion Torrent library using primers which had 454 adapter sequences 5' fused to Ion adapters 3', you could "convert" a library, but the beginning of your reads would be the Ion Torrent adapters and the PCR might skew the distribution of fragments and reduce complexity.

Comment

Thank you krobison!

I was going to run a transcriptome library in Ion Torrent just for assess its quality before sending to sequencing in a 454 FLX, I have read about this application of Ion Torrent, unless it is true that it is not mentioned its utility for later sequencing in 454....

so... I'll have to think in something else

thanks again!

Comment

I'll confess a certain bias against 454 but I think you should ask yourself what the advantage of 454 is here over Ion or Illumina. For RNA-Seq applications, 454 has a bit longer length but many fewer reads in a run -- or more importantly, many, many fewer reads per dollar spent on sequencing. Depending on your objectives for RNA-Seq, in general more reads are more important than length. More reads means seeing rarer transcripts

Also, I realized later another issue here. 454 tolerates longer inserts than Ion Torrent. So if you have an Ion Torrent library, you won't get much longer reads on a 454 -- mostly you'd be just spending a lot more money.

Comment

I understnasd the last you say...
          maybe I could prepare a 454 transcriptome library but first run it in an Ion Torrent, with the modifications needed regarding adapters....I don't know, i have to think about it
          Thank you anyway

Comment

The "A" linker for 454 and Ion are the same (as far as the 454 rapid library linkers are concerned).

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
              I'll confess a certain bias against 454 but I think you should ask yourself what the advantage of 454 is here over Ion or Illumina. For RNA-Seq applications, 454 has a bit longer length but many fewer reads in a run -- or more importantly, many, many fewer reads per dollar spent on sequencing. Depending on your objectives for RNA-Seq, in general more reads are more important than length. More reads means seeing rarer transcripts

Also, I realized later another issue here. 454 tolerates longer inserts than Ion Torrent. So if you have an Ion Torrent library, you won't get much longer reads on a 454 -- mostly you'd be just spending a lot more money.
              I run a 454 and have used it exclusively up to now, but I have to agree here. I tried doing some RNA-Seq on the 454 and it just didn't work. Sure, I got data, and good data too, but I couldn't do any real expression analysis because there just wasn't enough. Not even close to enough. I'm now preparing libraries from those same samples to send off for sequencing on a HiSeq because my experience proved to me that the 454 just is not an appropriate platform for RNA-Seq.

If your goal is to construct full-length transcripts to find splice variants and such, it might be a good choice, but if you want to quantify expression at all, don't bother.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses