Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing two groups from different RNA-seq datasets

I am interested in comparing samples of type A to samples of type B. There are several RNA-seq datasets in GEO that have either type A or type B, but not both. Is it possible to take samples from two different datasets and compare them? I am guessing most of the observed differences will be between the two labs and not between the two conditions. Is that a reasonable concern? Is there a proper way to deal with that?

I'd be very hesitant to do such a comparison due to the uncontrolled batch effect. I suppose you could try to estimate what sort of batch effect exists by looking at the effect between only the B or A samples, but I'm not sure how well that would work in practice.

Comment

Well, try to download as many type A and type B datasets as you can and use it as technical repeats. A simple hierarchical clustering will show you discepancies.

Comment

Since with sequencing, there is much more confidence in the observations, which have a built in noise check during the mapping, and it is necessary to account for the overall differences in reads anyway comparing samples from different labs should be straight forward, unlike micro arrays, where batch effects were known to dominate in some cases requiring a high number of technical replicates.

After taking overall read depth into account, you would have to look for subtle effects like bias in GC annealing temperatures or PCR duplicates. Verifying the results in the lab may be difficult though, as with any meta-analysis.

Comment

Is it worth trying to normalize to housekeeping genes or something similar to that?

Comment

Originally posted by id0 View Post
            Is it worth trying to normalize to housekeeping genes or something similar to that?
            I wouldn't normalize anything, but using housekeeping genes to verify your statistical model might not be a bad idea.

Comment

There are still batch effects in RNAseq, though they're certainly less of an issue than in the microarray days. I happen to be looking at all of the publicly available mouse hippocampus RNAseq datasets at the moment and decided to create a little heatmap of the variance stabilised data, which you can find below. The datasets are color coded the same on the rows and columns to make life easier (there are 160 samples in the heatmap, so the labels are illegible). While there are obvious experimental differences in some of these datasets, there's still a lab batch-effect. Having said that, if you're interested in different organs or something like that then the difference due to that will be vastly greater than the batch-effect, so rskr's advise should hold-up quite well.

BTW, some of the red-colored samples are technical replicates that I never bothered merging, which is why they cluster the way they do.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses