Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are using the 500 cycle kits for amplicon sequencing with about 20 different amplicons. After applying hardcoded settings it looks ok now. Not as nice as a phiX. But we get usually above 75%Q30. The last 50 bases of the reverse read quality drops (20 to 50% below Q20).

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
      Also, it was my understanding that the new MCS version 2.1.1.13 had some improvements for handling low diversity data. Anyone seen evidence of this?

--
      Phillip
      I had thought this as well, but my first amplicon run after the update didn't seem too great. I asked our FAS and she said it was mainly meant to prevent the intensity spikes that result from high phasing/prephasing values, not to really address the low-complexity problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinz View Post
        We are using the 500 cycle kits for amplicon sequencing with about 20 different amplicons. After applying hardcoded settings it looks ok now. Not as nice as a phiX. But we get usually above 75%Q30. The last 50 bases of the reverse read quality drops (20 to 50% below Q20).
        Vinz, are you using barcoded primers for sample prep or do you have universal adapters instead? I am interested in using the Y-adapters from the Kozarewa and Turner protocol for T/A cloning amplicons since this would make our adapters universal for any amplicon, but I'm not sure if template orientation will be a problem in downstream analysis since at least with barcoded primers, orientation is always the same whereas with Kozarewa adapters, the reads will go either way. This would have the added benefit of increasing complexity and one could even move the index to the front of read 1 for 12 cycles to increase complexity during the initial part of the run. The Caporaso paper insisted on a separate index read mainly because Hiseq reads were so short, but in the era of 300 and 500 cycle kits this seems less important to me now.

Comment

We use the 4 primer approach with dual indexing (see this post). Meaning, we do only 1 PCR which includes a target specific PCR including universal adapters and outer primers which will add the indexes and flow cell sequences. I guess it depends on how many different amplicons you want to target. If you have a low level of targets and multiplexing, then your approach might be worth while.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinz View Post
            We use the 4 primer approach with dual indexing (see this post). Meaning, we do only 1 PCR which includes a target specific PCR including universal adapters and outer primers which will add the indexes and flow cell sequences. I guess it depends on how many different amplicons you want to target. If you have a low level of targets and multiplexing, then your approach might be worth while.
            That's fantastic. Exactly what I've been looking for. We're new to providing miseq service and it seems like everyone wants a different locus (which I totally understand).

Comment

Originally posted by AKrohn View Post
              That's fantastic. Exactly what I've been looking for. We're new to providing miseq service and it seems like everyone wants a different locus (which I totally understand).
              Hi Vinz, would the following primers work (including 12N to try to solve the low diversity problem), Nextera style (using the transposase sequence available in the Illumina Letter):

PCR1F TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGNNNNNNNNNNNNSEQUENCESPECIFICPRIMER
              PCR1R GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAGNNNNNNNNNNNNSEQUENCESPECIFICPRIMER

PCR2F AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[i5]TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG

PCR2R CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT[i7]GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG

Comment

Originally posted by AKrohn View Post
                I had thought this as well, but my first amplicon run after the update didn't seem too great. I asked our FAS and she said it was mainly meant to prevent the intensity spikes that result from high phasing/prephasing values, not to really address the low-complexity problem.
                Apparently the new version of RTA is significantly better at low diversity. Phasing calculations are done empirically for every cycle, whereas previously the first 12 cycles were used as an estimate for the whole run.
                Colour correction is now also estimated over more cycles too making the matrix a bit more robust.
                Our area rep presented some data on this recently with a 900k/mm2 loading density, 90% PF with <5% PhiX. It comes with the warning that this isn't a magic fix. It still depends a little bit on what's exactly in your library but it does seem to improve data quality for single amplicon libraries.

We're yet to give it a go. We're thinking of starting with a 15% PhiX spike-in and titrating down as we go.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have not tried nextera style sequencing primers. All I can say is that until the indexes the sequence looks good.
                  Our attempts with 12 Ns were not too encouraging. We had the impression that introducing the 12 Ns resulted in more artefacts (short dimers).
                  Anyway, as Tony stated, the new software works really well. We spike in around 10% phiX with good success. Hardcoded phasing/matrix does not seem to be required anymore. So I would not recommend the 12 N approach.

Comment

You guys should really try phase-shifting-N primers. Have a few sets of primers with varying numbers of N before your amplicon (N, NN, NNN). This gets the identical regions of each sample out of sequence phase with each other. Works well for us so far.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                      by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                      02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                    0 responses