Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
    Anyone tried it yet? How does it work compared to hard coding?

--
    Phillip
    We did not see any major differences in new RTA and hard-coded matrix (using 2 separate MiSeq's where that was the only difference among the two machines).

We have not installed the release version located at the link posted but I believe it has the same RTA code we tested.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
      Where did you find the info about not lowering cluster density and only using a 5% phiX spike? I'd be really reluctant to test this on someone's sample! I have a RADseq library coming up that has some in-line indices that were poorly designed/chosen together with the problem that all the inserts start and end with the same restriction digest sites.
      That will be the standard recommendation from Illumina. You can confirm with your local FAS.
      If you have a sample that is known to be strange then deliberate under loading may be the safer route to take.
      Last edited by GenoMax; 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I'm a few days late responding to all of this, but I can also confirm that the new RTA software is working magic like you won't believe.

So far I've done two amplicon runs, both with only 2% phiX and both clustered around 1K/mm2 (one was actually at 1.2K) and the results are pretty amazing given the initial problems that were occurring. Obviously with cluster densities as high as I used, our PF rate was down around 75%, but that's still within Illumina's spec for just phiX so I can't complain. The reads themselves are very good, with only the last 75 bases of R2 really dropping below Q30, which is pretty typical overall for R2.

We've also done a genome run for some really high GC bacteria that we previously had lots of problems with even when using 30% phiX. This newest run was done with 5% and the results were so much better than before.

All in all, Illumina may have shot themselves in the foot a few months ago when they didn't test their RTA upgrade after the 2x250 upgrade, but now it's like they've replaced it with a bionic foot that will allow them to kick Life even harder in the you know what...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses