Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaanV View Post
    Really? That's interesting news indeed. I had figured that with all the extra chemicals to keep the droplets from merging and the necessity to keep the droplets at exactly 1nL, the costs would be significantly higher than what we already have. I suppose though that ruling out the very costly standard series is a major advantage to ddPCR.

I agree on the additional advantages of ddPCR. It's very useful for some applications.
    They didn't do a good explaining, did they? The cost is about U$5 per well. For library quant you really need 4 dilutions to measure, where the last two are likely to be within the dynamic range of the instrument (<100,000 copies/ul or <0.16 pM).

Could you possibly provide us with some data indicating this? The data that Bio-Rad showed was good, but not stunning in my opinion. They showed us a graph with Cluster Density PF for samples quantitated by both qPCR and ddPCR. Sure, the error bar for ddPCR was significantly smaller, but it was still very much present. What would you define 'extremely well'?
    I'd like to but I don't know if I can. Basically, you can plot cluster density against input concentration determined by ddPCR, and get a nice curve. Between 5 pM and 10 pM you will essentially get the same number of Q30 reads on a Miseq, though the %PF may decrease. That may have changed with the V2 chemistry though. I'm assuming the same is true for the HiSeq.

The error is due to dilution error, and extrapolating back to the starting concentration. You can get a sense of this by pipetting water onto an analytical balance, and measuring the average mass dispensed to give a sense of your pipetting accuracy and more importantly, bias. This doesn't account for wetting properties of the tip plastic for the DNA solution.

Would you mind pointing me to such a program? I would be very much interested in comparing it with my own method. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Sure. In fact the one I use(d) the most was LinRegPCR, which is from a group in the Netherlands.

A good resource for qPCR (though hard to navigate) that will link to various methods of analysis is here

Best

Austin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
    • seqadmin
      The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
      by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
      02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
    0 responses