Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so helpful that Illumina put it's cluster density numbers up without telling anyone how many square millimeters a miseq flowcell has. Does anyone know the magic number?

Comment

they said 3.5-5million clusters total

Comment

Huh, must have missed that.

Comment

There is also a PowerPoint presentation in PDF format on the Illumina site which gives more infomration on the poster.

One interesting thing is the error plots for all runs they show. Something I have not noticed before (need to look next week) is that all the plots show a kind of step-like profile increase in quality over the first 20 or so bases. Then there is a drop off in quality as run length increases. However this is not a simple drop as shown on slide 14.

Slide 18 shows HiSeq v MiSeq for 100bp runs of an E. coli library. Both show a drop in quality at about which recovers immediatley after, however it is at 75/65bp for Hi/MiSeq respectively. This may be an error in the library???

Slide 5 shows some lovely data on amplicon resequencing and mutation detection. It makes me wonder what the final reports are going to look like when this gets into a non-bioinformaticians hands?

Comment

Just found this hilarious videos about MYSEQ and HISEQ

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Custom sequencing primers in MiSeq?

We have a barcoded/indexed library that requires custom sequencing primers to run on Illumina. Custom sequencing primers prevent sharing lanes with other projects. Perhaps Miseq could be an option since it is possible to use entire flowcell. Illumina webinar "my samples, my study, myseq" mentions @22nd minute about sample loading but does not say anything about custom primers:

Can we use custom sequencing primers in MiSeq?

Comment

I think this service will be provided via GoldenGate platform.

Comment

MiSeq service

Who has these machines? How can I locate a collaborator having one? Preferably around southeast US.

Comment

Given that GoldenGate is a technology upstream of their arrays, could you expand on how this is going to be applied to sequencing?

Comment

The Illumina GoldenGate PCR is used for lower plex genotyping and other applications on arrays. The PCR is likely to be modified such that a set of locus specific primers have regions with complimentarity to Illumina adapters. GoldenGate on arrays allows up to 3072 multiplex reactions. This offers the possibility of 96-384 and even up to 3072 loci (e.g. exons) being targeted by PCR in a standard 96 or 384 well plate from very low input DNA. And generating sequence ready amplicons which would fit neatly into a MiSeq PE run. The whole workflow including PCR could be completed in one day with results returned, analysed the next morning depending on run configuration.

This workflow would compete with other targeting approaches aimed at low multiplexing and not with whole exome resequencing for instance. As it could be 96 or 384 well based I could see a panel of cancer genes being resequenced at every exon as a standard product any user could buy from Illumina, add their samples to and get results on really quickly. In fact I've asked to do exactly that. The GoldenGate product was announced as being launched at the same time as MiSeq in September/October.

Comment

The Illumina GoldenGate PCR is used for lower plex genotyping and other applications on arrays. The PCR is likely to be modified such that a set of locus specific primers have regions with complimentarity to Illumina adapters. GoldenGate on arrays allows up to 3072 multiplex reactions. This offers the possibility of 96-384 and even up to 3072 loci (e.g. exons) being targeted by PCR in a standard 96 or 384 well plate from very low input DNA. And generating sequence ready amplicons which would fit neatly into a MiSeq PE run. The whole workflow including PCR could be completed in one day with results returned, analysed the next morning depending on run configuration.

This workflow would compete with other targeting approaches aimed at low multiplexing and not with whole exome resequencing for instance. As it could be 96 or 384 well based I could see a panel of cancer genes being resequenced at every exon as a standard product any user could buy from Illumina, add their samples to and get results on really quickly.

In fact I've asked to do exactly that. The GoldenGate product was announced as being launched at the same time as MiSeq in September/October.

Comment

GW_OK here is an answer from my measurements.

A MiSeq flowcell is 1.5x23mm see a picture here… Core-Genomics blog, however only a portion of this is imaged as far as I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
                            Given that GoldenGate is a technology upstream of their arrays, could you expand on how this is going to be applied to sequencing?
                            Like James explained, Goldengate is a large platform which includes several technologies like primer design. This platform is also shared and used on other technologies from illumina, for example BeadXpress if I'm not wrong.

Comment

MiSeq vs IT - the latest

Illumina makes a strong statement regarding MiSeq and Ion Torrent data quality...

Attached Files

Comment

In addition to Illumina's analysis, there are analyses from Ion (referenced in my blog item) and from Edge Bio (which provides Ion as a service).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses